Glitter leather

Has anyone used the glittered leather in their GF? Someone wants me to cut out earrings for them but I can’t find where anyone has used this type of leather before and I don’t want to start a fire.

I’d pass on the glitter leather.

The glitter might be plastic and contain chloride (PVC) a component of many vinyls. No way of knowing without running burn tests on it, but burning even the smallest amount of vinyl with PVC in it can ruin the machine.

Offer to cut them from plain leather and glue the glitter on afterwards.

4 Likes

Glitter is not typically made from pvc, but fake leather often is. If you can’t get a MSDS I would agree with Jules.

2 Likes

I also wouldn’t want to keep finding glitter inside my machine for years to come. Glitter has this unique persistence ability. Use some plain veg tan, cut the earrings and hand them a can of spray adhesive and a bottle of glitter.

4 Likes

Curiosity…What is glitter usually made of? (Can’t stand the stuff, so I tend to avoid it.)

2 Likes

Aluminized polysomething. PET I think. Or glass, but you’d know it, because you gotta seek glass glitter out.

2 Likes

If it’s not a bad material to yourself/machine to laser, definitely mask–but test first that the mask doesn’t pull off any of the glitter. I’d worry about the laser reflecting off at odd angles & at least inconsistently and affecting the cut…

But another option to avoid the problem is get “Glitterlites”, glitter paint specifically formulated for leather, and paint it on AFTER laser cutting. That way you can cover the edges, too, if desired!

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.