Glow Forge is DOWN -- We need a Better Way so people dont panic

I have two machines , the minute I turned the Machines on they both made a strange noise and I knew Immediately something was wrong.

It does not need a cleaning
there is no debris,
I dont need a new password
I dont need a new cable I have two of them.

The Start up on the Glow Forge is not Right and that is the Clue that the Glow Forge is Down.

1 Like

Opening multiple tickets will only slow down their response (as noted in the sticky at the top of this section). It’s Saturday. You’re going to have to have a little patience. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Ok - But we learned that we cannot Rely on the GLOW FORGE Page to let us know when the server is down.

Without that Sever on line we cannot use the Glow Forge this needs to be changed .
I would gladly a monthly fee to not have to depend on the Glow Forge as this is becoming a problem now.

I just started up my Glowforge and it worked perfectly, just as it was designed to do and has been working for its entire life. No crazy noises, no funny sounds, just did its centering and scanning and then went back to ready to work.

I don’t think what you are seeing is a Glowforge service issue. I haven’t turned my machine on for several weeks and it had to download the updates, but then worked normally. I suspect you have a mechanical issue causing the noise you are seeing. If you want to upload a recording of the noise we can take a listen. Support will also benefit from it.

1 Like

Mine is down as well as its stuck on centering. I had this issue 2 days ago, emailed GF and they said their side was down until it came back up.

I also just used my Glowforge with no issues at all. As has been said multiple times, any sounds you might be hearing are not because of the cloud, but are mechanical.

1 Like

Okay mine is up and running again. Always scary to turn off the machine and not get a response from it sometimes.

1 Like

Did you try going to

You can subscribe and receive notifications when things aren’t working, or cool things come out.

English is not my first language - what is the significance of these randomly capitalized words?

2 Likes

So my glowforge is now Fixed .

**My two machines magically fixed themselves after being down for hours.

My confusion is that how is it possible that some people are up and running and im down.

I am beginning think that this Nonsense has to do with turning my machine off .

If i leave the machine 24.7 i dont seem to have these issues ,

I am left confused , frustrated as no one seems to know what is going on.

I have two machines : When the System is down I know it.strong text

So much for all those telling me it was a mechanical , lets get on the same page please.

It’s possible to have internet outages that impact some people, but not others, depending on location. Perhaps there was a cloud issue that wasn’t specific to Glowforge.

Realistically, you’re not going to have both your machines stop working in the same way at the same time, unless it’s something external to the machines. I’d say mechanical is beyond unlikely.

2 Likes

Yes , I also think that maybe there is more than 1 glow forge server.

I also think that machine no longer works as quick and efficient as it used to , and these update have slowly crippled our machines .

Sadly we have no control, the only control that we have is to leave our Machines on 24 hours around the clock and that gives us our best chance to keeping it running.

9/27/2020

We have had several updates today on the Machine within the Last Hour:
They have been quick but none the less they are happening.

I’m so sorry to hear that you’ve ran into this snag with your units emitting a strange noise during startup. I appreciate you providing all of the troubleshooting steps you’ve taken, and outlining the additional details related to the trouble you noticed.

I see that you’ve reach out to us on another forum post, outlining another set of behaviors you noticed unrelated to this one, so I’m going to keep the two threads open and separate.

I’ve extracted the log files from your Glowforge, and I was not able to determine any behavior related to a recent update, or the trouble we outlined on our outage page. When you noticed the sound, did you happen to capture a recording? It may help us to narrow down the trouble by reviewing a recording.

Reviewing some of your latest responses, it appears you are no longer hearing this sound. Is this correct?

2 Likes

Yes what I was reporting was for last night when the servers were down.

Today we are getting random updates causing some issue but being taken care of within about 10 minutes on each update so as of now Both Machines are working .

2:44Pm 9/27/2020

Thank you for updating me so quickly! I do see that you were able to perform multiple prints from around 8AM today, but did run into trouble with two of these prints not completing.

Based on the log files, I do see that some of the errors you experienced were related to a firmware update that was not applied previously, but was not completed due to the unit being powered off, and rebooted. Once the update was applied, I was not able to see any of the same behavior occurring.

On the two prints where you noticed they did not complete, It appears that your Glowforge also ran into trouble properly detecting the height of the material, and the same error occurred on the same piece of material. The material we reviewed appears to be a black square, and you have been able to complete a print on your Plus unit with this material most recently. That’s great to hear!

I’ve attempted to extract the log files from your other unit, to see if we can compare the behavior happening on both of your Glowforge’s, but I’m only seeing a Glowforge Plus attached to this email. Is your other Glowforge utilizing an alternate email for login?

I’d like to make sure we review the log files from both units, just in case we can narrow down what may have caused the trouble you’ve ran into.

3 Likes

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.

1 Like