After a few successful engraves earlier today, my is now stuck scanning. I’m submitting this to get an official response from technical support, as I’ve been troubleshooting this for a couple hours now and have decided to give up.
- I have turned the machine off and on at least 30 times.
- It gets past the calibration stage just fine
- It is not networking, since it goes from Offline to calibrating to scanning once the machine is turned on.
- I cleaned the lens. Yes, it’s put back the right way. I have re-seated the lens and ribbon cable at least 10 different times.
- I have positioned the carriage under the camera, in the back left, etc, but nothing gets it past scanning.
- I have searched and read through as many forum posts on the issue to try to find a solution with no success.
This latest unit has been mostly solid, outside of having to manually change proofgrade settings, which I can deal with. Not sure why it would have stopped working suddenly, as I’ve been cutting daily for the past couple weeks with different projects. Looks like I’ll have to go watch football spend time with my dogs, or catch up on the 3D printing.