Glowforge and Cosplay

I don’t know how much it really counts as cosplay, but last Halloween My girlfriend and I went to the Adult Swim Drive-In dressed as Rick and Mr Meeseeks (from Rick and Morty).
She was dressed as a female iteration of Rick, and I was Mr Meeseeks.

It was really fun. They gave me a sweet bobblehead for dressing up.

It was my first attempt at papier-mache in about twenty-five years and far from perfect, but it got a great reception, and mingling with the other people in costume was hilarious.
This pic from the AdultSwimDriveIn photos page is me with a different Rick, Summer, and Morty.

The possibilities that the glowforge opens up for costumes and props… huge.
I wanna (cos)play more.

11 Likes

Here are a couple of my cosplays. As far as cosplay is concerned… if you are dressing up and having fun then it all counts. There are some elitist that think it has to be perfect and you have to look exactly like the character. But I know people that have won world prizes and made things that Hollywood has called them about. They are some of the most down to earth people you will meet. The last photo is a work in progress… im making a fully functional BB8.

11 Likes

I have cut pepakura designs with a laser before. It’s works wonderfully as long as you take the time to set up the print files.

I have an Epilog Helix 40W with a 18x24" bed. This let me pick up some 18x24" watercolor canvas from Michael’s (US Arts and crafts store chain) and cut huge pepakura runs at once! If you purchase a license for the full version of pepakura you can even join large pieces together if needed which is a big plus sometimes.

The end result was excellent! I exported as a vector file (I think, or maybe I converted it to vecor after? No I’m pretty sure I expired from Pep as a vector…) and loaded it into CorelDRAW (where I do everything laser-related.) I colored the fold, cut, and labeling different colors and had them engrave with differing settings. The fold lines are just perforated for easy folding (lower the frequency to do that), and the cut lines are juuuuuuust barely enough cut so the peices must be popped out of the paper by hand (much easier to transport this way). The labels are just burned into the top a bit.

Once I figure out how to post a pic from my phone to this thread I’ll show you the outcome.

Bottom line- lasering Pepakura files is the only way to do it now. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

12 Likes

Good tip about cutting the lines so that the pieces have to be popped out. I still have doubts if I’ll have the patience required for large pepakura projects, but it’s really nice to see how it will help.

2 Likes

I love these forums! I recently made a Captain America shield and I had to cut long strips of foam for the straps on the back. First attempt, the back isn’t 100% accurate. As I’m sure we all do when we’re doing projects, I was thinking the whole time how much easier it would be with the GF. In fact, after I get the machine, I’m thinking about doing real straps out of leather and stitching them like Dan did with his wallet!

8 Likes

We have a small local video game and board game con, BitCon and they tagged my son’s foam sword…I thought it was a bit comical…but at the medieval faire on the same weekend allows my older son to carry his full sized Conan sword…cant find the pick but its a real metal replica…

12 Likes

That’s realy cool. Parenting at its best sir.

2 Likes

Yea I have a ton of projects on the list when I get my glowforge. Plus a ton of people lined up for me to make them stuff for thier projects.

2 Likes

Actually its Ma’am… :smirk: I guess I should change my profile pic…lol
Honest mistake made by many…:grin:

9 Likes

Lol my bad

It’s a perfectly good face–I’m glad you’re using it!

6 Likes

I miss your son and his glasses!

7 Likes

I cant win!! Lmao

7 Likes

Can’t blame you for changing your profile pic after the tons of responses directed to you as a male…but must agree with cynd11…it’s a perfectly good and lovely face.

5 Likes

I am glad I ran across your post Mockusc. I also cosplay and that is the primary reason for investing in the Glowforge. I have only started to delve into Pepakura and will soon attempt my first build (Ironman helmet). I chose Ironman because it’s cool and the Pepakura files are everywhere and easy to download. I purchased a bunch of foam sheets from TNT Cosplay Supply and I’m ready to go. Since the laser cutter hasn’t shipped yet, my first attempt will be with razor blades. Wish me luck.

2 Likes

Another cosplayer! Awesome. I make props and use lasers in my build process. Im not sure if youre familiar with evil ted or punished props, but they are the guys who invented the use of EVA foam for cosplay and have a ton of good tutorials on it on youtube, and bill doran (punished props) has a lot of ebooks out that are must-haves for foam work called the foamsmith books: (books by kamui and volpin are also highly recommended)

http://punishedprops.com/product-category/ref-mats/

This is one of the videos that I send to everyone, as it has a ton of good tips for those new to EVA crafting:

Im not sure your skill level or experience, but I figured Id share regardless. Happy to help if you have any questions

I recently posted a helmet build Zer0 Helmet Build (detailed post) - #44 by takitus. check it out!

8 Likes

I am familiar Evil Ted, I follow him on YouTube. I have actually met Bill Doran a couple times and have had the great pleasure to see some of his costumes in person. He, Volpin and Kamui are definitely masters of everything cosplay. I own both of Punished Props’ Foamsmithing books. I’m actually using Punished Props tutorials for building the Ironman helmet. I have read the tutorials so many times that now it’s time to put that knowledge to the test. Eeep.

3 Likes

Awesome man! Nice to meet a fellow builder. Where are you from?

2 Likes

Maryland, near DC.

2 Likes