Glowforge and vitreous enamels class, July 7 and 14

The Enamelist Society is holding a virtual workshop class with Grant Turner, who will show his technique of etching his illustrations on vitreous enamel surfaces with a Glowforge.

Grant has extremely cool work and I think this is sure to be an interesting class. (I’m a member of TES and will be taking it, so if anyone’s an enamelist come take it with me!)

Info on the class and signup: https://www.enamelistsociety.org/custpage.cfm?frm=16660&form=16660

Grant’s wildly creative work with lasers and vitreous glass: Grant (@gartslap) • Instagram photos and videos

13 Likes

No way for me to take the class, but I look forward to seeing what you make out of it! :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Thank you! I can’t wait.

6 Likes

50 years ago :frowning_face:

4 Likes

That looks like fun!

Much of the list of what the course covers sounds like "using a Glowforge 101.” I would love to have a workshop or video that just covers the parts specifically about working with the glass/enamel, without sections on vector vs raster images, how to use standard design software, etc.

Maybe you can summarize for us after the workshop?

6 Likes

Absolutely. I have been doing enamels for a while (though I have still never gotten around to burninating an enameled piece) so if you have questions about that technique I could maybe help. As for the glowforge settings and so on, I expect it will be largely similar to etching any glass or ceramics. It’s a lot like the technique of burning off a top layer of paint, his work is so intricate I’d guess he makes use of a lot of jigs and things like that.

4 Likes

40…5? :thinking:

I ended up going with stone inlay as It was stone that got me into jewlery, but a very nearby shop specialized in Edo Cloisonné.

2 Likes

Looks neat. I hate that you can only see thumbnails without an Instagram account though. I guess I am the only one left like that, haha.

3 Likes

aw sorry, I was worried about that!

1 Like

here also

2 Likes

Tritto

2 Likes

Yeah, me too. After FB told me my dead nephew “liked picture of the day”, I started feeling kinda ‘used’. I don’t trust participating in anything associated with the parent company. This is the only form of social media I really indulge in.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.