Glowforge app auto-alignment to edge?

I am having difficulties printing small cut-outs. The app is automatically aligning my cut outs to the edges of lines it sees, which I do NOT want it to do. This project is a bit slap-dash and weird-I’m making kind of pallet for a makeup competition. I need the individual cuts and engraves to be set off from the edges of previous cuts on the board as I add new products. But when I try to add a new engraving or cut, the app automatically lines up with the edge of old cuts/the edge after the refocusing step. I do not think this is an alignment issue because the cuts are exactly where the lines

are, I just need the lines to stay where I put them initially and not move after the refocusing step. Also, when I try moving them back after that step and then lasering, it just lasers them where it put them. This is a very clunky explanation so I’ve attached photos to give you an idea of what I’m talking about.
Of course, it should be obvious I’m a total newbie and I realize there are probably a hundred easier ways to have formatted this file so that a) my cuts were correct in the first place, b) the spacing was correct in the original design and then I wouldn’t need to move my little cut out circles around in the app. I’m more interested in learning how to function with the gf app in a way that gives me liberty to change my design without going back into inkscape.

It is important to use the auto focus tool before placing your artwork. Also, you may need to run the lid camera calibration. Your best bet, however, is what you suggested, which was to have your original file laid out properly. If you care to share your file, someone will probably be able to help you.

2 Likes

Okay, bottom line…if you want to shift a design in the Glowforge interface, you have to use the Set Focus tool in that exact spot first.

There is a lot of math and behind the scenes magic going on that I’m not going to bore you with, but the upshot is… your best bet is to lay it out the way you want it the first time, and if you have to make a change, you click in one spot with Set Focus, the view that appears AFTER you click set focus is the correct one, you make the changes, then you use Set Focus on the next spot that you want to align, change it to the correct position, and do that for each change you want to make.

Each time you use Set Focus in a spot, the view is going to shift slightly in all the other locations. Ignore that. Once you’ve set a spot correctly, the camera is adjusting itself slightly but the actual physical placement will be correct when you run the job.

1 Like

Do I need to set the auto focus each time?

Got it! I’ll give it a go! Thank you!

Oh, and one last thing…Set Focus shoots out a little laser beam (red) to take a measurement that has to land on the material. So if you have cutouts, you might want to choose the Set Focus point near the area instead of too close to a cutout.

3 Likes

THIS - I mean, yes to everything @jules said, but if you open your art program and create a 11x19.5 art board and the lay your design exactly where you want everything when you upload that art the :glowforge: it’ll be exactly where you want everything. If you truly want to lock it in, put a box around everything too - then they literally can’t move because they’ll all register as one item - if you resize/move/rotate everything will stay in the same relation to each other

1 Like

Unfortunately the GF app isn’t really meant to do this, it’s more like a glorified printer driver that lets you locate your design on the material. You can move some pieces around and slightly resize but design really needs to be done in a design program of your choice. :slight_smile:

For accuracy - yes, each time you open the lid.

I’m sorry you ran into trouble when creating your project. It looks like you’ve already received some great advice from our other community members. Thanks folks!

Did you result improve after trying what they suggested? Please let us know if you’re still having trouble and we’ll be happy to assist.

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.