Glowforge changes image when switching to engrave from cut

Hi all,
Just curious why the Glowforge would change what is going to be engraved. In the pictures below you can see:

1. My image in Illustrator.
  2. The image in the Glowforge when uploading it and it defaults to cut.
  3. The image in the Glowforge when I change it from cut to engrave.

The arrow completely fills in for an engrave setting. I don’t want the entire arrow engraved, just the outline of the arrow.

I do this all the time with items and have never had it do this before. Any suggestions or ideas why this does this?

Thanks

Screen Shot 2020-02-07 at 12.51.47 PM

Screen Shot 2020-02-07 at 12.53.42 PM

Screen Shot 2020-02-07 at 12.53.53 PM

The outline is probably there in illustrator but either with a white stroke or no stroke… But the GFUI sees it.

1 Like

Change it to a Score and you’ll just get the line without cutting it out. Defocus it if you want a wider line than a focused score gives you.

Engrave fills enclosed vector shapes. That’s what it’s designed for.

As stated, you can use “score” (which is just a reduced power cut) if you’re just looking for a thin line. If you are looking for a thick line, similar to your image, you can either run a defocused score as also stated above, or change your design to have “an arrow within an arrow”, and it can then engrave the space between them.

Try setting the line position on just the arrow to either inside or outside instead of center.

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.