Glowforge Furniture/Epoxy (bench)

I have been working on a small bench for my parents that I bought at a garage sale. Last name is Ivy and they have a cattle ranch, so i incorporated all of that into the build. Hollowed the top with a router. Burned the wood with a torch to give it some definition. Glued down leaves from a vine of silk fake ivy. Cut the name and silhouette with my GF. Epoxy filled the entire thing, and after a lot (A LOT!) of sanding this is where it is so far. Still some sanding to go and some clear coat over the rest of the wood.

30 Likes

That is totally unique…they’re going to love that! :grinning:

5 Likes

Wow, what a unique gift! They will be thrilled, and I’m sure will treasure it forever.

4 Likes

Really nice re-purpose and reuse. So totally personal and special!

4 Likes

Well done. I know how hard it is to get bubble free pours.

4 Likes

This was a learning experience for that, i poured a small depth first to make sure everything would not float to the top, about 8 hrs later i poured the rest. When i started applying the heat gun I believe it heated up the wood in the letters and started pushing bubbles out into the first layer that would not rise to the top. So, i had to stop using heat to pop the bubbles on the rest of it.

1 Like

I made a bar top with international currency in layers. First pour clear and let set until firm and then place coins. Coins were heavy enough to sink into the gel first layer. Added bills on top of second pour. The corners curled upwards and stuck out of the epoxy. Had to sand them down and pour another layer on top.

Bubbles… I was constantly chasing them down and trying to get them out. Used a heat gun and a pin. Then I saw someone who ran their mix in a vacuum system before pouring to get the invisible air out of the mix. That’s when I realized that I could have done a better job, but it’s a home bar top… :wink:

5 Likes

What a wonderful use of your talent.

2 Likes

That’s what i should name my GF… then i can tell everyone “I used my Talent to make this _______.” :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I can’t even imagine how thrilled they will be! An amazing piece!

1 Like