Glowforge goes offline after every cut, then recalibrates after some time

I’ve been running my glowforge pretty hard now for a few months but this is new the last couple of days. I’m working one a ton of christmas orders I have to get done and the machine goes offline after each cut. Most of the time after about 10 minutes it seems to come back online on its own, recalibrate and then it’s good to go for another cut.

Any thoughts or ideas?
I’ve restarted 5=10 times over the last 2 days and it doesn’t fix any issues.
Internet speeds test at 150mbps next to the machine.
Internet connection is good on all other devices as well.

Glowforge does go into its sleep mode so it seem to know when it hasn’t been in use for a little bit.

Thanks for the help!
Darren D

I’m certainly no expert, but I have to tell you, this is the same issue that I faced a couple weeks ago (including being up to my eyeballs in Christmas orders). My GF had to go back for warranty repairs. Still waiting for my replacement… I would suggest an email directly to the support team.

Actually it’s best not to email if you’ve posted in Problems and Support – all that does is create a duplicate support ticket, which slows them down. :slight_smile:

I’m so sorry you’ve hit a snag.

You mentioned that you’ve restarted your Glowforge. There’s one quick thing that we’ve seen resolve this issue for many of the cases where people experience WiFi trouble:

Restart all the devices involved in connecting to the internet.

1. Turn off the computer, phone, or tablet that you’re using
  2. Turn off your Glowforge
  3. Unplug your modem
  4. Unplug your Wi-Fi access point
  5. Wait one minute, then plug everything back in and turn them back on

If that doesn’t resolve it for you, I have a few suggestions that may help:

• If your Wi-Fi network includes several access points, it’s possible that your Glowforge needs to re-establish its connection whenever it ‘hops’ from one access point to another. As a test, you could try creating a dedicated access point for the Glowforge to see if that helps.
  • Since Glowforge only uses the 2.4GHz frequency, a connection will be harder to establish and maintain on a crowded 2.4GHz network. Other devices using 2.4GHz, like cordless phones and microwaves, can cause interference and an unstable connection. You can consult your router settings to check the performance and traffic on your 2.4GHz network.
  • In your network settings, check the channel you’re using for the 2.4GHz band. Trying a different channel may provide a more consistent connection.
  • Though less common, DNS or name resolution conflicts may also cause intermittent connectivity problems. If you use a custom DNS configuration on your router, you might want to try default DNS settings to see if that works better.

If you’re still having trouble, there’s a test you can try that will help us narrow down the problem. If possible, could you please create a Wi-Fi hotspot with a cell phone and use that network to connect your Glowforge to Wi-Fi? This is a good way to rule out signal interference, since you can set your phone right on top of your Glowforge!

You can find instructions online to help you create a Wi-Fi hotspot using a cell phone. Make sure that you set it up to be a 2.4 GHz hotspot, since that is the frequency your Glowforge uses.

Once the Wi-Fi hotspot is broadcasting, you can connect to it by following these steps:

1. Turn on your Glowforge.
  2. Wait 30 seconds. Then hold down the button for ten seconds until it glows teal.
  3. Navigate to setup.glowforge.com and follow the instructions on-screen. When prompted to connect your Glowforge to Wi-Fi, choose the hotspot you created.
  4. Once Wi-Fi setup is complete, go to app.glowforge.com and try a few prints.

Let us know how it goes, and if needed we can take next steps from there.

I’ll these a shot and let you know. I’ve tried a couple already and its working at the moment. Fingers crossed as I run it for the next few days

One other thing that might help if you have windows: shade them. My GF is currently next to a south-facing window, and on sunny days I sometimes have to cover the lid with something opaque to get the machine to behave properly.

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.