Glowforge is loud

It doesn’t match reality at all.

1 Like

My expectation was that the smallest, and least capable laser engraver/cutter that I have would also be the quietest. I have two other laser engravers/cutters prior to Glowforge: one a floor standing 80W, and the other a desktop 60W. Glowforge is, by far, the most annoyingly loud one. Why? Because it is inside of my home, and not in the garage. The Glowforge was not marketed as a shop tool, it was marketed like a Cricut machine.

Pure decibel level might be equivalent (I haven’t measured it yet), but the pitch/whine of this thing is awful. I should record what it sounds like and offer it up - maybe mine is defective? Comparing it to a KitchenAid mixer is not even close. Comparing to a blender making smoothie from frozen berries and ice, the Glowforge IS quieter/less annoying. Comparing to a vacuum cleaner running is probably the closest, but I believe my Glowforge is louder.

I’ll grab the dB meter later today and compare my 80W w/Chiller to my GF.

1 Like

That’s not a realistic expectation.

My smallest laser is a 4W LED laser. It’s a toy. It’s also the quietest. By your test the GF noise level is fine. It is not louder than the Redsail but is louder (& more powerful) than the 4W so it meets your test. But it’s an entirely arbitrary test. There’s no difference in the sound level between a 60W and 100W Redsail. The tube power is irrelevant.

Whether the expectations set by marketing in terms of how loud it “should” be is a matter of how you interpreted that marketing. That’s an entirely different thing. You may well be justified in your expectations - at least for you. Others have looked at the same marketing and have different less critical expectations. You have a valid gripe to make with GF that they encouraged an expectation of sound levels you don’t experience by showing it as a home and kitchen appliance. You can start a new topic in Problems & Support and you’ll get an official response from GF.

But I expect your options will remain the same. They’re not going to be making hardware changes required to make it quieter (if possible). So, you muffle it yourself, move it to a different space or sell it.

2 Likes

It is a matter of perception, but I can carry on a conversation in a normal voice with it running.
Drea mentioned room acoustics, which can be a big factor.

5 Likes

I do suspect that quite a bit of it is perception. I do expect to measure the volume, but I’m already satisfied that it is likely to be no louder than my vacuum. That is a tolerable volume around here, I’m pretty sure. But I will surround it with noise dampening panels, if I need to. How loud it is happens to be a matter I’m not overly concerned about.

2 Likes

You’ve extracted one sentence without the explanation as to Why. It’s not an unrealistic expectation based on the marketing, and video evidence of it running… running totally and completely silent, I might add ::slight_smile:

If someone advertises a new 240VAC generator and shows it running in your kitchen with a magical CO filter, you’re going to assume that it isn’t deafening. Don’t get started on the word assume.

There is also the simple fact that some people are less annoyed by high-pitched, loud droning sounds. If you can read just fine while a housekeeper is running a vacuum cleaner all around you, then you might just be fine with the GF.

Room acoustic references are totally valid - the room my GF is in DOES echo quite a bit, so that is a fair critique of my situation - and something I’ve been meaning to address for some time now. Surely, that will help. As far as surrounding it with an enclosure/panels/etc: that’s for industrial equipment, to me… not the gorgeous Glowforge. The design/aesthetics of the GF are absolutely destroyed by that idea…

I have my dB meter in my hand. I’ll compare the GF to a Dyson vacuum and report back.

4 Likes

Running my dB meter comes between 68 and 74. My vacuum is louder. My coffee grinder, inside a sealed and padded box, is louder. It cannot be heard outside my apartment, and I can have music or other going while printing. That’s good enough for me. I probably will still take steps to dampen the sound some, but its not terrible.

3 Likes

This has all been covered before. With measurements and suggestions on how to dampen.

8 Likes

The cats are a little nervous around it, because it is something entirely new, but they are about as afraid of the :glowforge: as they are of the vacuum, and I’ve had to pick them up and move them out of the way while vacuuming, because they don’t move for it.

5 Likes

Most excellent! Thanks for linking that. I just did a quick test of wrapping the aluminum ducting with a blanket and it made a huge difference on pitch.

I’ll definitely take the time to focus on the ducting for dampening the sound. As a followup edit: I do admit that I missed the exhaust dampening statement @jamesdhatch earlier in the thread. He did point me in the right direction… it fell on deaf ears, though… not sure why I couldn’t hear it :slight_smile:

Thanks!

7 Likes

You can buy pre-wrapped 4" flexy hose at Home Depot. It’s $17 for a 12ft section but you can cut it down.

It’s called Insulated Flexible Duct R6 Silver Jacket. The hose is contained in a silver wrapped fiberglass sleeve so you don’t have to be taping up a franken-hose.

4 Likes

Thanks. I used something similar for my R2D2-style air conditioners in the garage, but 6" variety. Will pick some up tomorrow and give it a shot.

1 Like

After all the effort I put into connecting, taping, taping, and taping my duct, I’m loathe to disconnect it. I wonder if I could buy that, slice the sleeve off, and retrofit it onto my existing semi-rigid.

1 Like

Perhaps use something like this.

I think that’s a different construction - it doesn’t have the fiberglass batting layer. Part of what’s happening with the hose inside the fiberglass insulation sleeve is a reduction in harmonics due to the number of little air spaces in the fiberglass (IMHO). The other stuff might keep things from sweating but unless it happens to counter-match the sound waves caused by the transferred fan noise and moving air, I don’t think it’ll do as much good as simply wrapping some pink fiberglass insulation around it :slight_smile:

Ugh…was reading too quickly comparing a couple of products. The self-stick overrode the material :blush:

I was thinking the fiberglass stuff myself.

1 Like

While using @misspricethelibrarian forge it was hovering between 63 decibels and 64 decibels on my meter.

60 is about the sound level of normal conversation whereas 65 - 69 is your pretty standard vacuum cleaner. Friendly reminder that dB follows a logarithmic scale as well.

7 Likes

Thanks for the discussion all!