Glowforge lands in de VI! Am I the 1st in the Caribbean?

Thanks! Burning up my :proofgrade: draftboard. Can’t wait to see what I get on :proofgrade: Maple after tweaking. But the :glowforge: is meeting my expectations based on this forum. Way too cool.

Read a story from Cory Doctorow called PrintCrime . It’s from 2006 but It sent me on the direction of the :glowforge: , 3d Printers, etc. His SF is stellar as to what is going on today. As Asimov and Heinlein got it right in the 60’s and 70’s… Doctorow is on this decade…

“He grinned. “I’m not stupid, Lanie. I’ve learned my lesson. There’s no hat or laptop that’s worth going to jail for. I’m not going to print none of that rubbish, never again.” He had a cup of tea, and he drank it now like it was whisky, a sip and then a long, satisfied exhalation. He closed his eyes and leaned back in his chair.

“Come here, Lanie, let me whisper in your ear. Let me tell you the thing that I decided while I spent ten years in lockup. Come here and listen to your stupid Da.”

I felt a guilty pang about ticking him off. He was off his rocker, that much was clear. God knew what he went through in prison. “What, Da?” I said, leaning in close.

“Lanie, I’m going to print more printers. Lots more printers. One for everyone. That’s worth going to jail for. That’s worth anything.”

Excerpt From: Cory Doctorow. “Printcrime.” iBooks.

2 Likes

I may do just that…been looking for something to take a little break with. Good Scifi is always a prime contender. :grinning:

Teenytinyhands
And what happens if you stay in the Matrix for longer than too long…

6 Likes

Okay, the hand thing is starting to creep me out. :neutral_face:

2 Likes

Tooooooo Funny!. I got the hands for the Graveyard (250 yrs old) that’s on my property and I maintain out of respect. They freaked out the kids that used to trespass…

Do you recognize the phrase “I’m crushing their heads”? I suspect its in your repertoire.

2 Likes

I have my finger and thumb over your avatar as we speak!

2 Likes

And not to skip over you have a graveyard yard on your property that’s 250 years old!? I would maintain that out of fear!

Also now legitimately a future answer to a problem you may be experiencing with your Glowforge may be:

“Ghosts”.

His works are stellar. There is a teen short story that I share often and have read more that once.

Little Brother.

“Praise for Little Brother

“A terrific read…My favorite thing about Little Brother is that every page is charged with an authentic sense of the personal and ethical need for a better relationship to information technology…. A neat story and a cogently written, passionately felt argument. It’s a stirring call to arms.”
—The New York Times

“Enthralling…One of the year’s most important books.”
—Chicago Tribune

“Terrific at finding the human aura shimmering around technology…Little Brother is generally awesome in the more vernacular sense: It’s pretty freaking cool.”
—Los Angeles Times

“A worthy younger sibling to Orwell’s 1984, Cory Doctorow’s Little Brother is lively, precocious, and most importantly, a little scary.”
—Brian K. Vaughan, author of Y, The Last Man

“The well-integrated explanations, plot twists, humor, and romance…keep this thriller humming along even for techno-duhs. Cory Doctorow tackles timely issues, including the erosion of civil liberties in the name of national security.”
—The Washington Post

“It made me want to be thirteen again right now and reading it for the first time.”
—Neil Gaiman, author of Sandman and The Graveyard Book

“A believable and frightening tale of a near-future San Francisco…Filled with sharp[…]”

Excerpt From: Cory Doctorow. “Little Brother.” iBooks. https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/little-brother/id382673861?mt=11

Sounds a lot like “Red Dawn” from the blurb. (Which was depressing. I don’t like depressing books, life hands you enough without going looking for it. Which is why I don’t care for Steinbeck or Dostoevsky.)

The graves are the Irish Overseers and family, when the Danes got freaked out over the uprising (Fireburn) the Danes pulled out, brought the Irish to the Territory to run the Sugar Cane fields and so we have a great number of Virgin Islanders with Irish names.

Interesting history in the VI. We don’t have Ghosts we have Jumbies!

1 Like

Not depressing, enlightening.

1 Like

I strongly suspect that is another one of those unannounced upgrades as I got one also, but you had yours a very long time before. I am wondering if Puff came with the pass through slot covers in place as I am still waiting, but noticed some rubberish pieces between the steel plates and the entrance.

Chuckle! I was just joking about being irritated…I think they know me well enough to know that. (They’d better after a couple of years of reading my posts.) :smile:

Your pass through covers probably came installed on your machine. On the inside of the drop down door are two black thumbscrews on a silver plate. That plate comes off…that is the front pass-through shield. There’s another one at the rear of the machine that covers the slot in the back.

That I knew but wondering if then the rubbery goodie behind it is the permenant shield or if something is supposed to replace those big steel plates. At this time I am only using it to make long pieces shorter so they fit or cutting the ends off pieces that do fit but cannot be cut in a single cut so small items can be cut near the center of the bed.

The rubber flap is the permanent installation.

2 Likes

Ditto…

Congrats! So happy other countries are starting to feel the love!

There’s a GF in Washington DC?
:sunglasses:

…and even longer than too long…

6 Likes

:laughing:Brilliant!:laughing:

InternalError: too much recursion
2 Likes

Did anyone get red dessicant? :wink:

2 Likes