Glowforge made me do it!

I just put my Silhouette Cameo 3 up for sale on eBay. I’ve had a Cameo (1, then 3) since 2014. I used to use it all the time. But since Sparktacus arrived in December, my poor Cameo is just a thing I look at and walk around, and I’d rather be walking around other things. I guess in theory it’s still useful for vinyl and stickers and such – I know other people still use and love theirs – but I only buy vinyl and vinyl accessories. I never actually cut vinyl :slight_smile:

But, here’s the crazy thing, and you have to swear to keep it secret, I actually design things occasionally for their online catalogue. So… Uh… Awkwards.

So, glowforge, you’ve killed a committed relationship.

19 Likes

Uh-oh! I think word just got out. :smile:

2 Likes

Is okay. They’re entirely overrun with fonts now anyway. And I definitely do not design fonts. All font designers are patient and virtuous saints. This is a fact.

3 Likes

:laughing: Tots awkwards!

1 Like

Wasn’t there supposed to be a glowforge design marketplace too at some point? :wink: a new relationship can blossom here!

4 Likes

But you can use 3D engraving on your Sparktacus to make letterpress and embossing templates for your Cameo, right?

I would love to be able to buy designs for the Glowforge like you can for craft cutters. There are so many amazing ideas out there! As much as I enjoy creating things, my lack of artistic skill is a significant limitation. I can do the technical bits, but if I want a really beautiful pop-up birthday card for somebody, I’m off to the Silhouette store.

3 Likes

Maybe I’m confusing the machines. I guess it’s a Big Shot that you can use for embossing.

1 Like

I’m the same way. I mean, the same but opposite. I can’t do the technical stuff. I would buy, like, little storage drawers and boxes and things like that. I wanted the glowforge catalogue to be like that, too, but I don’t think it will. Just my opinion, but I think it’s too expensive and restrictive.

1 Like

If you upgrade Silhouette to the Pro version, you can export .svg files. I’ve been porting my vinyl designs to the :glowforge: .

I almost got a Cricut to go with the Glowforge for cutting and embossing things the Glowforge cannot do like copper, vinyls, chrome tanned, leather, etc. I have a bunch of 4oz soft copper just staring at me and aluminum flashing as well that I thought I could cut as part of other designs, but was put off by what looked like the old record/record player game of being more interested in selling cheap designs at high prices than empowering artstic expression much less as a robot business assistant.