Glowforge making two passes over some single lines when only one pass specified

Okay, I tried a couple of things, and although they did work, I don’t really like the result because they slightly modify the lines involved. There is a curvature introduced into the lines, they are not perfectly horizontal and vertical after the trace, and although they will probably still appear to be completely vertical and horizontal when they are burned (it’s well within engineering accuracy and should not impact the fit or appearance) I don’t like introducing inaccuracies.

So scratch that one…sorry it didn’t work. :frowning:

2 Likes

OK so I poked at it some. I don’t know anything about SVG, but I think it would be easy to fix this.

d=“M58.8,14.1V6.2V14.1z”
OK so the key here is the V and H bits. You really want this to end up like this:

d=“M58.8,14.1V6.2”

So, if it were me, I would use php to parse each line, get the starting X and Y coordinates (58.8 and 14.1, respectively), then then remove the last one if it matched the start X or Y. It wouldn’t be hard to do, and would be worth the effort if you had several complicated files to fix.

I’ve got a bunch of other stuff to do or I’d take a whack at coding it up, but really this is a 20-line program, tops.

4 Likes

Here’s a quick primer on the H and V syntaxes for horizontal and vertical lines.

For your example of straight orthogonal lines with 2 nodes that double back on themselves, this is pretty simple to fix with a script. So simple that it makes me wonder if someone has already done this, I’d google around.

1 Like

I would either

A. Go back to the very originals and figure out what you did that caused it

B. Failing that, I would use the direct select tool in Illustrator, and just as you need a file, go in and shift-click the lines that need to be de-duped. It might take a few minutes for each file.

C. Figure out a script that will run through the SVG, but not sure how much time you’d need to put each one together to figure out the different circumstances. Some lines use H for the segments, some use V (both acceptable), etc.

Code theory is pretty easy for me, I just suck at writing it, so I’m pretty much relegated to just modifying existing code :slight_smile:

Rargh, you’re going to make me code it. It’s a fun small challenge. Question is whether @seth.r.johnson can run php somewhere. (I could do it in perl, but I’d be way slower). There’s no point to coding it up if he’s not able to /doesn’t need to run it.

So, Sethrjohnson? Do you need it and can you run it?

1 Like

Thank you! I think I can hack it out with some false starts.

1 Like

@evansd2: Thank you for the kind offer! I think I can figure this out by tracing back my steps to the original files and finding out where I introduced the problem. I’m pretty sure I know what I did, even. The insight from all of y’all was tremendously helpful: gave me nudge I needed to think through things more clearly. I’ll touch up this thread again if my efforts fail and I end up needing a script. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Try put the file through https://jakearchibald.github.io/svgomg/

There is still some weird stuff going on though, so best if you can find originals and start again.

Thems fightin words! :yum:

1 Like

I edited your file in illustrator. Took out the fill on everything (the words at the bottom) and reduced the stroke weight to .01. Sometimes even if there is one stroke, if it is thick, it will go back over it. I have a Roland VS300 vinyl cutter that does the same thing for the cut contour if the stroke weight is too thick for the cutting. However, I cant figure out how to upload a file to here lol. I dont have my GF yet so maybe its a feature I dont have access to, but this might help. I work with an epilog laser as well at my job, so im pretty familiar with a few ticks that they have.

That won’t do anything other than make it hard to see on-screen. The GF doesn’t care about stroke weights. I keep all of mine at 1 PT all the time.

His files have some other issues, the lines aren’t lines kind of thing.

There are a number of “cleanup” plugins for Illustrator. Maybe one of them handles this particular issue?

Astute Graphics has something called Vector First Aid, and they have a 14 day free trial for all their products.

In corel for cutting on an epilog, the stroke weight absolutely does matter. You need to turn have it set to hairline in order to make it cut. Its worth a shot.

This ain’t an epilog :slight_smile: although his file would be incorrect there too.

FWIW, you can set your stroke weights to 10 or 100 and it wouldn’t matter to the GF. It will still give you the option of a cut or score, and you won’t get any extra width or kerf.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, no, it isn’t. @hansepe is correct, stroke is a red herring. This is a straightforward path error, if you read the entire thread you can see it’s been really thoroughly diagnosed.

2 Likes