Glowforge Material Manager Chrome Extension

Finally managed to make some time to fix the extension and test it against our Glowforge. A release was pushed out last night so everything should be working again.

4 Likes

95% of my work is done on the same material. Even just making it hold onto the previous setting would save me a lot of time.

1 Like

Did you read the latest update?

2 Likes

I looked at the september update and did not see anything pertinent. Did I miss it?

You can now store custom material settings…

It wasn’t in the September update. Here it is:

https://community.glowforge.com/t/save-custom-settings-on-any-material-and-ios-app-improvements-9-17-18-latest-improvements/29439

You can also check the right side of the GFUI home page for updates.

I’ve had access to this for a while now which is why I didn’t prioritize updating the extension. After using their new UI for a while. I’ve decided to completely overhaul my extension as their UX and implementation are so unusable for all the scenarios that I need.

2 Likes

can you give us some idea of what the extension adds beyond what GF has implemented?

The biggest thing the @icirellik extension did is add ‘proofgrade’ style settings. Just drop in material, select it from the UI, the pick score/cut/whatever. IMO this is far more streamlined workflow than the new GF custom settings. The GF settings are nice for a scattering of a different materials, but it grows unwieldy very fast when you have 4 different engrave settings, 3 different score settings and 3 different vector engrave settings for a single material. @icirellik’s plug-in worked far better for me than the new GF custom behavior. Which you find more valuable is probably very workflow specific.

2 Likes

With the original material manager I would make changes then select update. After the status light turned green, I would refresh GF in Chrome and the changes would show up in the materials list.
I tried the same with the new version with no luck. I also tried logging out of GF, Restart Chrome, and restart GF still no luck. However several times now when I went to select a material, all of my custom materials were there. But I don’t know what I did or how they got there.

Any Help ?

The GFUI now supports saving material settings. I think what you’re seeing is native GFUI, not the material manager. :slight_smile:

I am seeing the GFUI material settings. I can’t seem to get the settings that I have in the Materials Manager extension to move over to the GFUI materials list.

They won’t. You’ll have to put them in yourself. :slight_smile:

I know how to add manual settings to a material. But how do you add materials to the Materials list ?

Instructions here in the Support area of the app:

https://glowforge.com/support/topic/first-three-prints/working-with-manual-mode

1 Like

This is what I want to know how to do.

Oh, sorry.

You don’t…you add manual settings under the cut / score / engrave operations, and (at least how I do it) name them for the material they are used for. Here are some of mine:

2 Likes

Unfortunately, Glowforge didn’t implement their custom settings that way, they just let you save custom settings, not a custom material.

We’ll have to wait for @icirellik to rework his extension for that I think.