Glowforge Not Cutting through on all parts of a design on translucent acrylic and PG materials

It’s cutting the inner circle and the other letters, but skipping the M? That makes no sense at all, they’re the same path. Not saying you’re wrong, just can’t imagine how that would happen.

exactly - that is why I am so confused and frustrated…my machine has issues :roll_eyes:

Okay, I just scored it twice and there’s nothing wrong with the file. When you say the “M” isn’t cutting through… do you mean that it’s coming close to cutting through and just not quite making it all the way? Or do you mean that it’s not cutting at all?

If it’s not quite cutting through, but it’s almost making it through, just slow the speed down by a few points (5-10) and it will cut through the “M” as well. Switchbacks and tight curves in a design are harder for the machine to cut - it’s now slowing down before it gets to a corner point, to keep from overburn in the corners. You can compensate for it by slowing the speed a little if the design has fancy script in it. (Anything with tight corners and sudden changes in direction.)

(Or you can round any tight corners, or place a cut in the corners, but that’s more of a hassle for some designs.)

1 Like

Jules you are amazing! I cannot believe you went to all that trouble - thank you!
I don’t know about scoring it as I was trying to cut it all the way through but it only scored that letter and cut the rest fine. I have done other M’s like that without an issue, so it seems to be a systems glitch. I ended up reflecting the image and cutting it on gold mirror and it came out stunning. Trying to cut it out the normal face up style was not possible though. Disappointing given that I have no guarantee this won’t happen the next time I just want to cut things face up. But in the meanwhile I have a great substitute product to send to the client so it is manageable for today.

I’m sorry you ran into trouble cutting through acrylic with your Glowforge. I see you’ve already received some great information from our other community members, thanks folks!

Would you please run a test print using default settings so that we can check to see if your machine is performing as expected? Here are the steps for the test:

1. Turn off your Glowforge, then turn it back on
  2. We included an extra piece of Proofgrade Draftboard with your materials shipment for troubleshooting. Place Proofgrade Draftboard in the bed and load the Gift of Good Measure design.
  3. Set the score and engrave steps to ‘ignore.’ Print the Gift of Good measure using the default settings. Allow the print to finish.
  4. When the print finishes, leave the lid closed and wait until the fans stop and the picture of the bed updates.
  5. Check the completed print:
    • If the Gift of Good Measure fails to cut, please let us know the date and time of the print
  • If the Gift of Good Measure cuts successfully, please try another print of the design you saw the issue with, and let us know the results.
  1. If the issue still occurs, please let us know the date and time of the finished print.

In addition to the time and date, if the Gift of Good Measure doesn’t cut through, please send us photos of the front and back of the finished print. Thank you!

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.