Glowforge not engraving (ghost engraving)

Hello,

New to this forum but I was hoping for some advice.
Just got my laser ready to run and I made a file to cut 1/4 acrylic. I’m using the thick clear acrylic setting. I hit my print button and start it starts printing but nothing is engraving. Any advice?

1 Like

What are the settings?

BTW, this is not a problem for GF support since you are dealing with non proof grade material.

Sorry, just realized you stated your settings are for thick acrylic.

1 Like

I used the thick clear acrylic default settings. They seem kind of low but I didn’t want to mess with anything.

1 Like

Yeah they do seem low to me as well but I haven’t got much experience with acrylics either. I would experiment a little if I were you. Just be careful and keep a close eye on things.

1 Like

If your design has overlapping vector elements, it will effectively knock out the engrave. This is pretty common with traced files.

If you want to verify the machine is working correctly, the quickest way is to load a default file like the gift of good measure and run that. It will rule out any file issues.

3 Likes

Hi @kawaiimoldsbybrittan. I’m sorry to hear that you’re running into trouble with your new Glowforge and engraving on some acrylic. I saw you were getting some great advice from fellow Community members. To help rule out any potential technical issues with the laser system, can I have you run our test print by doing the following?

• When the print finishes, leave the lid closed and wait until the fans stop and the picture updates.

Check the completed print:

• If the Gift of Good Measure fails to cut through or produce any visible laser cut lines, take a photo of the front and back of the print and attach these photos to your response.

Let me know how it goes and I’ll look forward the results. Thanks!

Hi, @Brandon.B , thanks for that. I guess it had nothing to do with my settings. It’s just not printing at all. I tried to print the gift of good measure and nothing at all engraved. So I’m guessing my laser is bad.

Hi @kawaiimoldsbybrittan. I got your response and saw your email for this issue as well. I am going to go ahead and close this thread to continue working on the next steps to get you back up and printing. This can help us avoid any potential confusion or miscommunications. I’ll be in touch through there, and will look forward to your next email response.