Glowforge not engraving properly

I accidentally put the printer head mirror backwards and it started to melt inside I was able to get it all removed and cleaned the lense as much as I could but its not working properly . I had a spare mirror and can’t find it so I tried see what it would do without one and it doesn’t work. do I need to have one in there for it to work? it is sold out online anyone know where I can get one asap I have Christmas orders to complete and I don’t know what to do at this point.

That mirror is set with a very high precision and any damage will make it worse than useless as it could be sending the energy to someplace else and damaging that.

3 Likes

what do you recommend I do?

Yes, you do. I’m sorry to say welcome to the community on this sour note, but keep the faith. You mentioned mirror and lens…which thing was it that you put in wrong…the part on the top of the head that has a turquoise handle on it? I suggest you contact support at 1 (855) 338- 2122 and explain your situation to them and see what they have to say. Best of luck.

6 Likes

yes the blue part with magnet ugh!!!

1 Like

you might need a new print head. I dunno.

3 Likes

I suggest you try really hard to find the spare you say that you have. If Glowforge is sold out, there are other sources for optics including American Photonics.

4 Likes

If the mirror points the wrong way it will do more damage every time you use it. It might already have ruined the head. With very good luck there is a ridge to make sure the mirror is aligned exactly that may have saved you from buying a new head, but I would not depend on that.
If you have an extra mirror then looking for it harder is probably the best thing for now.

1 Like

The laser beam is directed horizontally from the gantry arm into the head. That mirror directs the horizontal beam vertically to your work area. You absolutely do need it or the beam will destroy the head. I hope it isn’t already melted to the point where a new mirror won’t fit properly inside.
Find your new mirror or find a replacement and good luck.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.