Glowforge on its way to France

Hello Glowies! Got my shipping email on Monday and have just this minute* taken delivery of the parcel of… Proofgrade materials. Well, it’s a start I guess, and certainly super quick delivery. No notification for the Glowforge and tray parcels, so fingers crossed they arrive soon. I’ll update here when they do.
For any fellow France-dwelling Glowies, the customs on the materials was 66€.

*Ok, like 10 minutes ago because of course I had to open the parcel and touch all the things, you all get it I’m sure! :wink:

20 Likes

Yeah!!! Congrats!

2 Likes

Wonderful! :grinning:

2 Likes

4667cb97eafb180e4da01760d8a9c8980bbd809b24f2bf76c8c88e3e54a0262e

6 Likes

My proofgrade should arrive today too! It was supposed to come last night, but I didn’t get the payment notification until this morning :thinking: so it is bouncing between cities. Oy. Hope this doesn’t happen to my machine!

2 Likes

Ditto. No notice on the forge shipping though. Although I really want it… I don’t have a filter system set up yet so it’s probably just as well rly :frowning:

My glowforge should arrive today, just paid the fees! :scream: 470€. I got a call yesterday from someone from (I think?) UPS asking if I were using it professionally or personally. Maybe that is the 21€ difference from @malika91?

@kcalmejane What did you end up paying?

fyi @marc.simon1

1 Like

That’s a very odd question. Do import tariffs in France vary for commercial usage?

I thought so too, and not that I’d ever heard. You’d think there’d be more of a price difference then!

I thought duty was harmonised across the EU and there is certainly no difference in the UK. If UPS asked me that I think I would tell them to mind their own business.

I wonder if it was to do with safety and importing lasers?

Possibly, but as far as I am aware it’s only the Pro which is Class 4 laser and is not for home/personal use. Judging by the duty paid @bhspalinger has a Basic which I believe is a Class 1 laser.

1 Like

To which one asks, “So just out of curiosity, is there a fee difference between the two?”

3 Likes

No word on my GF yet, not even a dispatch notice. I was wondering if the difference was VAT because that’s usually the only reason for a price difference between pro and personal purchases here but I don’t think that would apply to import duties, and it probably wouldn’t just be 21€…

I would have, if I were more fluent in French. To say that I was super confused and had to hand the phone off to a friend would be an understatement… sigh. (the guy didn’t speak English, I asked)

Actually just checked my account and realised that the official dispatch date is today so maybe that means that I’ll soon be getting an email? Maybe? crosses everything

2 Likes

It woooooorks!! Hooray! :tada::tada::tada:

I tested the trace function by scanning a stamp I carved last year. Not bad! I chose HD engrave though and that might have been a little overkill, haha. Gotta go read all those posts about settings now… and track down a source of materials since I’ll likely hoard my PG materials for very special projects after this!

12 Likes

Congrats on the arrival! (And you hand carved that? It’s very squeeeee!) :grinning::squeeee::squeeee::squeeee::hedgehog::hedgehog::hedgehog:

3 Likes

Congrats on the arrival and on the first prints! :sunglasses: :fr:

1 Like

So exciting! I’m so happy for you. Looking forward to some wonderful things from you, now.

1 Like

Oui oui!

1 Like