Glowforge plus, trouble with startup sequence

I have good internet connection and tried to refresh browser along with my routers. My gf sits at idle for a few minutes then tries to go into the calibration loop. Laser head then gets close to center but not quite. Then moves to the left and idles. Sometimes moving slightly but will not finish cycle. I do get a connection to the app. It switches from offline to centering.

Everything you’ve listed there points towards WiFi. While you may have a good network, and internet connection, it sounds like the signal to the WiFi is weak. Support can check out the logs and see if it’s losing signal repeatedly and reacquiring an IP address.

If it loses WiFi at any point outside of running a job, it has to go through the calibration process again. It sounds like it’s having trouble getting the initial bed picture and motion plan (if it’s taking a few minutes to start moving), and then losing connection during the process itself.

2 Likes

I sincerely appreciate your patience and I’m sorry to hear you’ve run into trouble with your Glowforge. I’ve done some further investigation with our engineers, and I wanted to let you know what we found. According to logs we extracted, the following text is being included in a log whenever your unit loses its connection:

"details": "OpenSSL SSL_connect: SSL_ERROR_SYSCALL in connection to storage.googleapis.com:443",

This points to the same issue we saw in some of our earlier research, suggesting that the Glowforge is having trouble connecting to *.googleapis.com on port 443. I’ve seen this happen before when the firewall is preventing these requests. I’d suggest double checking if your firewall is allowing connections to *.googleapis.com on ports 80 and 443, for http and https traffic as well as websockets.

If you continue to have this trouble, you can try the following test to narrow down the issue:

First, create a hotspot on your cell phone and use that network to connect your Glowforge to Wi-Fi. You can find instructions online to help you create a Wi-Fi hotspot from your cell phone. Make sure that you set it up to be a 2.4 GHz hotspot, since that is the frequency your Glowforge uses.

Once the Wi-Fi hotspot is broadcasting, you can connect to it by following these steps:

1. Turn on your Glowforge.
  2. Wait 30 seconds. Then hold down the button for ten seconds until it glows teal.
  3. Navigate to setup.glowforge.com and follow the instructions on-screen. When prompted to connect your Glowforge to Wi-Fi, choose the hotspot you created.
  4. Once Wi-Fi setup is complete, go to app.glowforge.com and try a few prints.

Please let us know how it goes.

1 Like

So it looks like my issue was that my internet connection was throttling down from an outside factor. Long story short internet was crappy at the time and machine wasn’t work. I didn’t realize at the time that the glowforge needs internet connection to initiate a calibration/startup sequence.

My next question I have… is there a way or does glowforge plan on having a way to run the machine without having internet connection? It is a huge bottle neck rendering the unit useless if the internet goes down.

I’m glad to hear that you were able to find a solution!

You’re correct that all of our units require Wi-Fi and internet connectivity to operate. This lets you connect to the cloud servers hosted by Google, which we use to make many of the coolest features possible. However, you only need the connection to start the print. If you lose your internet connection while printing it will finish.

I’ve made note of your request for offline printing, though, and I’ll let the team know! I’m going to close this topic. If you run into trouble again, please create a new post here on the forum or send an email to support@glowforge.com and we’ll be happy to help.