Glowforge Repair Help

I returned my machine to GF 8 weeks ago because the lid was defective. It literally came off the hinge after I had used the machine for only a few weeks. GF agreed to repair the machine if I paid the shipping, which I did. GF received the machine, but still has not returned it.
I’ve written to GF several times seeking help with the matter. GF doesn’t seem to know what has happened to my machine.
I am dismayed, because I had fallen absolutely in love with the GF and was planning to purchase a second one. In the beginning I experienced GF to have stellar customer support, but now I am feeling extremely left out in the cold with no way to contact anyone other than the support page which gets no response. The option to LIVE CHAT seems to be gone. Should I keep believing in GF despite all this? Are there other laser cutters to consider? It is extremely frustrating to invest so much money in a product and come to rely on it - like I do my computers and my phone and my other prints, etc. for my profession and then not be able to use it.

3 Likes

I don‘t have any great advice, but based on other repairs we’ve seen, I’d expect your machine back soon.

There are other lasers out there, although not many quality (tinker-free) versions at this price point.

The unit was defective and they charged you shipping?! That doesn’t sound right. You already paid to have a 100% functional machine shipped to you.

Also, they’re repairing yours rather than sending you one that’s NOT defective?

I think I’m missing something here.

Depends on location.

1 Like

He joined the forum in the summer of 2018 so it’s possible the warranty ran out even if he wasn’t using the machine.

2 Likes

Does it? Weird.

True enough. Just struck me as odd.

2 Likes

Not all overseas locations have free warranty shipping. They have warranty / but not the free shipping part.

1 Like

Thanks for the replies.
My original GF worked brilliantly for 9 months under warranty.
After iststopped working, it took about a month, but GF did honor the warranty and replace it with a new one. However, after I’d only had the replacement for a few weeks, and had used it only a few times, the lid broke off from the hinge, mere days after the 1 year warranty expired. GF acknowledged the bad situation - that the brand new replacement machine was defective. Under these circumstances GF offered to cover the cost of repair - if I paid $200 for shipping, which I promptly did. They let me know when they received the machine and told me the repair cost would be about $150 -which they would waive. They said they would let me know when it was ready to ship back, I assumed in a week or so. That was now 8 or 9 weeks ago. After inquiring several times over the past few weeks, the only response has been one saying they are sorry and thanks for my patience and they don’t have any information about my machine. It is truly dismaying, mostly because of how much I have championed GF and now I don’t know what to think. It appears that once my warranty ran out, so did their commitment to providing customer service to me. That doesn’t seem right. At least with computers and such, you can reach a person and, if nothing else, pay for additional customer service if necessary. I also noted that the defective, broken lid issue was something others in the community experienced.

3 Likes

That is a long time to have to wait. I hope you get it back soon.

@walt We are deeply embarrassed that you have gone so long without a response and I can’t apologize enough that we’ve left your questions without a response.

I am sorry that it is taking longer than normal to repair your unit. I’ve reached out to you via email with follow up options.

3 Likes