Glowforge shipping date, beta releases, and bonus materials

6 Likes

My family and I were discussing SW today on our trip home. We came to a conclusion, episode 4 withstanding, Lucas was at his best when he created and others directed so there was more shared vision. For example compare Indiana Jones, which he got Spielberg to direct, and Temple of doom which he did himself.

I won’t give and spoilers (even blurred) but to say my families reaction to Rogue 1 was it did what a prequel is supposed to do, add more depth and meaning to the original. When we got out the first thing we wanted to do was come home and watch episode 4.

9 Likes

You could have a point there. Temple Of Doom was really really bad. But I kinda like the original screenplay of The Star Wars. Same universe, much darker. I like that Lucas. I don’t know why he never really embraced that. Anyway if you (plural) haven’t, search out The Star Wars screenplay and give it a read through. I tend to cast a younger Edward James Olmos as the role of General Starkiller. :wink:

3 Likes

I worry that some people take some movies a bit too serious.
It was fun ,job done .

1 Like

Funny, I watched both Raiders and Temple of Doom over Christmas.

Classic eternal argument in film studies, what is more important the director or the performers.

• Empire is far better than a New Hope with mostly the same cast, director.
  • Raiders better than Temple of Doom with the same director, casting.

As much as Mola Ram is an iconic character I still feel the first had better villains as a whole and a much better leading lady.

I’d rather watch Ford fight with Karen Allen than macho his way around Kate Capshaw but that may just be me.

Being said, I’m glad they both exist.

11 Likes

I love Karen Allen. I was sad they didn’t have her in temple of doom, but short round was an awesome addition. He’s my favorite part of that movie.

4 Likes

Empire was directed by Kershner, not Lucas. So same cast, different director. Indiana Jones has always been directed by Spielberg.

While I agree that Empire is the best of the original trilogy, I try to think of it as one big story, so I try not to rate and rank them. For pure nostalgia reasons I’d have to go with Jedi if I did that, because Jedi was the first Star Wars movie I saw. It got me into that universe and I’ve never looked back.

(Yes, this includes the prequels as well… can’t help it, I love them all!)

As for Indiana Jones… well, I’m kind of the same there. I never thought of Temple as a bad movie. I’ve always liked all of the Indy movies. Even Crystal Skull, though there are parts that I think could have been done better. I really don’t like Mutt swinging through the trees Tarzan style. But the usual argument people have about it is the ending… but all of the Indiana Jones movies have had some fantasy element to them and this was just a variation on that, so it wasn’t particularly jarring to me like it was to some.

3 Likes

I think most of the hate was derived from the basic copy paste of the scene from the 3rd? Transformers movie with the other Primes of the past appearing.

2 Likes

The first ever star wars movie I saw was Spaceballs (no lie) it all went downhill from there (this is a lie). :smiley:

11 Likes

Spaceballs is an awesome movie. Another one that is killer is Galaxy Quest (parodying star trek). One of my favorites.

15 Likes

Many many good scenes in there. But one of the funniest things on the disc is that you can actually choose Thermian as your audio language!

• Tom
8 Likes

I haven’t seen the thermian version, but otherwise Galaxy Quest is another one of my favorites. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Me 3. :smile:

5 Likes

Galaxy Quest and Princess Bride are required films for people who join my department. We often twist the quotes around to be font-related. The Glyphs of Insanity! :grin:

20 Likes

Thank you so much. I just sent in my request to participate in the beta program. Fingers crossed.

6 Likes

Good luck!

And remember we’re all counting on you😉

My first “Airplane” quote of the new year😂

16 Likes

Surely, you can’t be serious?!

18 Likes

I am serious — and don’t call me Shirley!

23 Likes

Nooooooooooooooo! :anguished:

15 Likes

Love this :heart:

2 Likes