Glowforge short-circuit after print

After running my glowforge on a small score project ( runtime 1 minute 27 seconds ) the unit short-circuited (Lights flickered a few times before abrupt shutdown, there was also the smell of a burnt electrical circuit. Very much distinct from the residual smell of the printing process) after I opened the lid to remove the piece. The lid was open for approximately 35 seconds. The unit had finished the cool down period after the score. Has anyone else had something like this happen?

For a bit more detail, I also checked the plug to make sure it was securely plugged into the outlet, and I also checked the circuit that powered the plug. Both were fine. There were also no other items running on that circuit that would cause a short-circuit. The unit itself will no longer turn on. There is a brief flash of the internal light then nothing.

Uh-oh! Support is probably going to need to replace it. (But they’re very quick getting replacements out.) Sorry about that. :anguished:

Go ahead and unplug it until you hear from them.

3 Likes

Unplugged it right after this happened. A huge letdown though. Waited so long to get the thing and it just randomly dies after a few months. I will see what support has to say. I sent them a message as well, was just curious to see if other had a similar situation.

1 Like

Just to let you know for next time, it can slow things down if you send them email and post in Problems and Support, since that results in duplicate support tickets. If you want input from other users without opening another ticket, you can always pull us in by posting in Everything Else. :slight_smile:

Meanwhile, I’m so sorry to hear of your GF’s untimely death! Having just been through an exchange myself, I know it’s hard, but the staff are awesome at getting you back up and running as quickly as possible. Hang in there!

2 Likes

They will make it right. I had my unit fail just in the middle of a random job. No fanfare or flashes, just stopped firing and coasted to a stop. Lights were still on. Have no idea what happened.

I do not know what is normal for new products. It’s been a three year development cycle. It uses lots of time-tested components. But I wonder what is the level of reliability for a new product that we can expect from version 1.0?

How many replacement units are expected to be factored into the whole project? Not to simply to speculate about this and minimize your loss, but getting perspective. We are getting to warranty limits now and that is going to be another issue.

Factoring reliability into big projects is something to consider I guess. I hope you aren’t too inconvenienced. I use mine as a hobby, so it’s all relative. Folks who have to factor in this for a business, it has to be a deal. I’d definitely have two other Glowforges if I were to do anything commercial. It’s about the only way I could factor in the processing time and allow room for mishaps.

3 Likes

I think I’d go with a used Trotec and a GF for a spare or one-off protyping machine. Use the Trotec for production use.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, it looks like your unit is experiencing an issue that we can’t resolve remotely. I want you to have a reliable unit, so I’m recommending we replace this one. I’ll be in touch via email to sort out the details. I’m so sorry about the bad news.

2 Likes