Glowforge Solved a 10 Year Argument

My husband and I are amazing together. In our 19 years we rarely disagreed on anything…even the important things like wedding plans, naming our child, etc. BUT…we’ve had a 10 year disagreement over the appropriate light fixture for our front hallway.

This is the classy fixture we’ve enjoyed since we moved in. The one burned-out bulb adds to the ambiance, don’t you think?

A couple of months ago I took matters into my own hands and ordered these plans from laser-templates.com after seeing other forum participants do a nice job with it:
https://laser-templates.com/collections/best-selling-products/products/3mm-leaf-lamp

Many sheets of acrylic, 2/3 of a container of acrylic cement, and some tears later, we have SUCCESS!

NOTE: our house is 170 years old and the hallway still has the original wiring from 1911. I had to leave the old fixture in place or risk the whole ceiling falling down on me! I did give it a paint job, though. When you own an old house the normal structural rules don’t seem to apply…you learn that the giant beam in the ceiling isn’t load-bearing but the light switch is!!!

89 Likes

That is really cool. Great job! Looks GOOD!

4 Likes

Oh, wow, that is the most beautiful one I’ve seen yet. Great job!

6 Likes

Wow, that looks amazing. The acrylic you used really makes it pop. The sample picture from the laser templates site doesn’t do it justice at all.

5 Likes

GREAT job! This is exceptional!

I realize I have the tools to do this. I realize I have the template to do this. I realize I have the materials to do this. I realize I don’t think I could do this.

15 Likes

Too true and funny! Great work on the lamp!

6 Likes

That looks really amazing. Congratulations!

We have a load-bearing window, and our house is only about 40 years old :slight_smile:

5 Likes

What a beautiful end to the argument!

3 Likes

Great design. I haven’t seen acrylic lights before, this looks great!!!

2 Likes

Oh yeah, been there too many times. Don’t you love it when the insulation around a wire crumbles because you breathed on it?

5 Likes

Worst part is that one of our cats was sitting under the ladder and started eating the crumbled insulation bits as they rained down on him. That particular cat is down to at least 6-1/2 lives at this point without added asbestos. Sigh.

6 Likes

Gorgeous!
Hope your cat’s remaining lives are long ones!

1 Like

Looks really pretty. I’m glad that you found a solution.

As a former owner of a 1927 bungalow, I know what you mean about old homes and finding strange things. I was once cutting through the plaster and lathe to put in wall speakers and found a wad of tape that turned out to be a hand twisted wire splice buried in the wall. Not safe and amazing that I just happened to cut into the wall at that spot.

4 Likes

I am sure you are both back in agreement. How could he not like the beautiful fixture,

2 Likes

Gorgeous job on it! :grinning:

2 Likes

Wow, way to upgrade! You did an amazing job on it!

3 Likes

Great work.

As a note we also have a old house and we picked up a medallion at a salvage store which we used to cover the old fixture plates.
Ryan

3 Likes

Came out awesome.

I always hated the wiring in old houses. Really old ones still had the old bare wire on porcelain insulators (not used and dead but the apparatus was left in place).
What I DID like about old houses though, were the brass fixtures a lot of them still had on the ceilings. They always looked like heavy round or oblong shapes, until you removed the 15 or 20 layers of paint.
Scroll work and cupids. Always with the scroll work.

Even in places that got complete new wiring, I usually talked them into letting me clean up those old brass and re-installing them.
Never had anyone disappointed with doing that. They were beautiful and unlike anything gotten today.

Yours looks good up there above your acrylic project. If it was heavy and brass though. I will bet it was also covered in scroll work and not just a brass ring.

4 Likes

All this talk of “old houses” reminds me of a couple of Danish employees I had, back in my IT days. They scoffed at our idea of “old.” As one of them put it, “In Denmark, our roofs come with 300 year warranties!”

5 Likes

My sister owns a 1920’s house in a historic district and asked me to wire it for ethernet. UGH! Anyway the walls are metal-lathe with concrete with overlaid plaster. Sawzall is an amazing tool with the rescue blade. Anyway putting in 10,000’ of CAT-6 wiring was so painful (both figuratively and literally a lot of those wall cuts have my blood all over them). I put my son (around 8 at the time) up the laundry chute with a pull string to get the wiring to the 3rd floor (put in a conduit which he sheet metal screwed in on each floor. Still complains that I made him do it 10 years later. But the house which is a giant faraday cage has nice networking now. But found some truly amazing construction techniques in those walls.

7 Likes