Glowforge Spotted in the Wild

Besides what @morganstanfield just said, it’s probable that the S/W will be just as important to the Beta testing process as the H/W. What I’m trying to say is that Glowforge will first need to know whether the S/W itself is ready for release by subjecting it to Beta testing.

From what i understand there really isn’t any software to test. There is just a web interface for placing the design on the material. And that doesn’t work unless you have a unit. So we wount be able to test that until we have our GFs.
If you want to play around with something grab Inkscape or Illustrator and start designing. Which is the what you will be doing to design your projects anyways. There is no design functions in the web interface.

1 Like

Ran the photo through some steganography software – the kind used to hide text in photos – and found this interesting tidbit:

“First 100 to post the word supercalifragilistic in the GlowForge forums after April 1, 2016 get added to the beta group.”

2 Likes

Was afraid I’d spell it wrong.

2 Likes

You didn’t put it in italics. No Beta Glowforge for you! :slight_smile:

1 Like

As per Dan, it was just there for a visit and they brought it back with them. How they fit it into the overhead compartment is anybody’s guess.

1 Like

The long range forecast is more of the same, continued cloudiness with a chance of lasers.

4 Likes

The big question about @dan’s statement is the “it’s home is going to be elsewhere” part. The implication is that it is not one of their cobbled together units that is staying at the GF office, but is a more polished (production?) unit destined for a permanent home! My guess is that the new owner will likely be either a GF founder or an Angel Investor though.

2 Likes

It goes without saying that anything we read into the photo is purely speculation, but that is all we have to placate ourselves with, and the replies accurately reflect those among us who nurture an optimistic perspective.
Not surprisingly @rpegg has a realistic, mature assessment instilled by his engineering discipline that disallows unbounded enthusiasm based on speculation. Not me!! Laser!! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Can I just say that, even though I desperately want a GF right now, I’m kinda enjoying the build up. Especially with this community. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Me too Jeremy, I didn’t anticipate finding a new family, especially such a helpful talented group.
You people have seriously damaged my ignorance - and I thank you for it!

8 Likes

Amen to that. Haha!

3 Likes

Supercalifragilistic
Any bonus points available for including the expialidocious part?

1 Like

Astute assessment, there, @printolaser: @rpegg brings the mature, disciplined assessment of the engineer, and the whole thing was started by the wild speculation of the former reporter turned creative writer. :smiling_imp:

1 Like

Not very mature. Just lacking in imagination.

1 Like

squirrel, squirrel, squirrel, squirrel, squirrel, squirrel, laser!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

10 Likes

I know it wasn’t mentioned in the pre order literature, but I really expected it to be delivered in a box…:wink:

4 Likes

At least now we know why the shipping is so expensive. :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

You’d think Dan would have posted a job description by now, “Needed someone who can carry seventy five pounds, with a partner, down sidewalks. Travel 100% of the time. Must have passport and full set of immunizations. Number of positions: 100.”

4 Likes

maybe they invented a second device:
towforge

7 Likes