Glowforge stops mid engraving

Hey there!

I’ve got an issue that I would love if you could help me.

I have been cutting some acrylic for some xmas gifts but sometimes, mainly when I try to engrave photos, the laser stops for no reason mid engraving but without any warning lights or any error. On the laptop the timer still goes as normal without any warnings or errors.

After the laser stops i usually shut down the glowforge and place the laser at home position and then it takes me a while to be able to turn it back on again. I press the on and off switch and… Nothing… Sometimes i have to wait 10m… Sometimes 1hour.

Unfortunately this issue is getting more and more frequent to the point that I cannot do 3 jobs without it happening.

Any advise? Is it an upload issue? Because when i make the laser cut it always does it without issues. Its when it engraves and Sometimes when it scores.

Really need your help sinse i cant find anything on the glowforge forums. Similar posts have been closed but didnt see any solutions and im in Portugal so… Im guessing shipping it to get it fixed will not be an option as the shipping costs will be insane.

Thank you in advance and happy holidays

If you have the pro model I would check the power interrupt staple thingy in back by the power switch. Make sure it is pushed in all the way.
When they get around to you support will be able to have a look at your machine’s logs, Hopefully they can diagnose it for you. Good Luck!

1 Like

Thanks for the tip but unfortunately its the basic model.

1 Like

When you say stops, do you mean it turns completely off? No power, lights, fan, etc.? And when you try to turn it back on, it does nothing at all (no lights or noises or attempt to start up)?

If so, my guess would be either bad power coming in, or some component of the machine is overloading the power supply. There is an electronic component called a resettable polyfuse that overheats and shuts off when too much current goes through it, and resets itself when it cools down. That matches the symptoms of being able to start the machine up after a few minutes of waiting. That would be unfortunate, since I don’t think you can fix any such things without sending the machine back.

How is your electricity supply there? Are you plugged in to a circuit with any other devices on it?

The interlock does not affect power. It simply halts the machine.

Ah, I thought it cut the power. Thanks for the correction.

Hello @landreagoncalves1 - I’m very sorry to hear about this trouble with your printer, thank you for reaching out.

I’d like to echo a question I’d seen here. When you’re seeing the printer head stop moving has the printer lost power entirely or are the fans/lights still on?

The behavior you described of the printer not wanting to turn back on after you’ve shut it off makes me wonder about this being a power related issue. Could you please try the following and let me know if the behavior continues?

1. Unplug both ends of the power cable and inspect them for any damage or issues
  2. Reconnect the printer end of the cable.
  3. If possible, move this power cable to a different working power outlet to see if this behavior continues

Please let me know if you have any questions.

hey there.

So I was just trying to engrave a photo into some plexiglass now and the same thing happened.

The printer stops but the fans/lights and everything stays on and working.
I dont know if it is a glitch or something but in the app and on the printer everything looks normal apart from the laser not fireing and the printer head not moving.

I also thought it could be from the wifi connection so I changed it… same thing happened.
Change the power outlets… same thing happened.
Changed the speed of engraving… again same thing.
It is strange because when I make it cut… it cuts… this only happens on engraving and sometimes on scoring

correction… it is now happening with most scores

Unfortunately, it looks like your unit is experiencing an issue that we can’t resolve remotely. I want you to have a reliable unit, so I’m recommending we replace this one. I’ll be in touch via email to sort out the details. I’m so sorry about the bad news.