Glowforge stuck centering

I’ve been noticing these last few days my machine is getting stuck on “centering” - I’ve seen a lot of people having similar issues. Machine is clean - I’ve checked everything else is this a software issue?

1 Like

Almost every time it’s a WiFi issue. It has to send a packet of info off to complete the centering process, and if that gets interrupted it starts all over again. Sometimes it’s just a hiccup in your local connection (and not an issue with your service provider)
Can you power down :glowforge: & router(s) and then reboot - see if the problem fixes itself

Fingers crossed!

There are a few reasons calibration may take a long time:

• Your camera needs cleaning
  • The materials in the bed are creating images that cannot be processed correctly
  • Your Glowforge isn’t connecting to the internet via Wi-Fi
  • Very rarely, it may be because of a hardware issue with your Glowforge.

While your Glowforge is calibrating you’ll see a status message in the Glowforge app Workspace next to the PRINT button. The statuses associated with calibration are: Centering, Focusing, Homing, and Scanning. If you see one of these messages for more than 10 minutes, walk through the steps below to get back on track. If you see a step you’ve already done, feel free to skip it.

1. Turn off your Glowforge

2. Wipe Camera Lens
    When the camera lens is dirty or obstructed by dust or debris, it may cause calibration problems.
    Use ZEISS lens cleaning wipes (available on Amazon and many other stores) to gently wipe the lens of the wide angle camera on the unit’s lid.

3. Remove Material from the Bed

4. Reposition the Printer Head
    Open the lid and, using both hands, gently move the laser arm to the center of the bed, then gently move the head under the lid camera

5. Unplug your modem and router
    Wi-Fi connection trouble is can also cause calibration problems. Network challenges can be difficult to diagnose, but the most common solution is to restart all the devices involved in connecting to the internet.

6. Turn your Glowforge back on

7. Restart your modem and router
    Wait one minute, then plug your modem back in and turn it on
    Wait about thirty seconds, then plug your Wi-Fi access point back in and turn it on

If you continue to see a calibration status message in the app after trying to above steps, there may be a hardware problem with your Glowforge. Please contact us at support@glowforge.com and let us know:

• Have you ever been able to calibrate successfully? If so, when did the trouble start?
  • What troubleshooting steps have you tried?
  • Does the head move at all while the app shows a calibration status message?

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.