Glowforge Stuck on Scanning at startup

In between one print and the next on Thursday (Friday?) the Glowforge got stuck on centering. Then it wouldn’t resolve I tried turning it off and back on again. At this point it decided to not move past either the centering or scanning phase during start up. The print head doesn’t move. The motor spins up like normal, but only the first little bit, then stops and nothing happens after that.
I have tried:
cleaning everything (lenses, camera, tracks, tray, below the tray, fan, heatsink, connectors)
unplugging it overnight
removing the tray
putting the tray back in
putting a piece of proofgrade on the tray
checking connections that are accessible (to the print head, to the camera, at the lid)
flattened the cable inside the back of the back of the print head after gently wiping down)
turning it off and back on again more times than I can count
centering the print head under the camera and leaving the lid open for like half an hour then closing it, with the intention that it would kickstart it into recentering (done this like 3… maybe more… times)

So what’s the next possible steps?
I already had to go into 2 shows without a full compliment of restock and with the holidays on my heels I’m starting to panic.

Also clean the top of the head, where the GF logo is. The camera uses that image for centering.

No guarantee that will solve your current problem, but at least it might prevent future ones! :wink:

I’ll give that a try (I know it got wiped down when I did the big clean, but I’m willing to try again).
I’m not sure if it will help since the head doesn’t move at all during the centering step for me.

Nope.
Still not doing anything other than the initializing noise (doesn’t actually move the print head) and just says scanning (sometimes it hangs out on centering for a while 1st).

Other things we have tried:
rerunning setup to the wifi
changing the wifi ‘channel’ (I don’t remember what my partner called it off the top of my head)

unplugged from both the machine and wall
reset the outlet

This time I got Focusing and am now stuck on Centering.

Going to try a different browser just in case. but hoping someone on staff can offer some help.

Didn’t figure a different browser would fix it, but it was worth a shot right?
It didn’t.
Short of disassembling the machine (which I am not terribly comfortable with) to try and find a possible loose connection somewhere I can’t see, I am at a complete loss.

I am one of those lucky folks who has a friend with a GF who is offering to print my very very time sensitive project for me. But the things that I want to have, are back burnered until this gets resolved and I know it’s costing me money.
Not to mention time and frustration.

I have the same problem and they haven’t answered my trouble ticket after a week all this sucks, I’m not happy with this at all. Do I have to say it Glow-forge sucks I would ever buy another one, I feel like I’v been lied to. I want real software, cloud sucks.

The issues you’re seeing might be caused by a poor connection with the cables on your lid. Please follow the steps below to check the lid connections:

1. Turn off your unit.
  2. Open the lid.
  3. Using both hands, gently roll the laser arm to the front of the unit.
  4. There are 5 clips pictured below. Check each one to ensure it is closed. The clip should lie flat, and you shouldn’t be able to flip it in any direction.
    lid_cables
  5. If any of the clips are open, ensure the cable is inserted straight into the clip and close the clip.
  6. If any of the cables are misaligned in the clip, take a photo of the clip and cable and send it to me so I can take a look before you proceed. Do not try to adjust or reseat the cable.
  7. Close the lid.
  8. Turn your unit back on and wait for it to calibrate.

Let me know how it goes!

All of the cables were inserted straight and closed.
I have turned it back on and the print head still doesn’t move and it is stuck on centering/scanning still.

Unfortunately, it looks like your unit is experiencing an issue that we can’t resolve remotely. I want you to have a reliable unit, so I’m recommending we replace this one. I’ll be in touch via email to sort out the details. I’m so sorry about the bad news.