GLOWFORGE SUPPORT PLEASE CONTACT ASAP *Carriage Plate Belt*

We noticed a string hanging down in our glowforge and we just discover that this belt is fraying. We have only had our glowforge for about 1 month and have had no issues until recently the last couple of days the alignment has been off. You cannot seem to buy one of these belts in the shop, yet there is instructions on how to replace it. We are currently using our machine in our business and have several pending orders. Please contact ASAP so and let us know what the next step to replacement is.

Thank you

Wow! Never seen one fray that way. :astonished:

Support can get you hooked up with a replacement for it, and you’re still under warranty, so there won’t be a charge for it. Just wait to hear from them about shipping details. (They’ll contact you by email.)

1 Like

Thanks Jules, I hope they contact me quickly and can ship fast. I have a ton of orders pending.

V/R Crystal

They generally get back within a business day now…usually just a few hours. (They only check the forum periodically.)

I don’t know if this was you or someone else but I would also want to try to figure out WHY it frayed so quick. Take good pictures of everything around the belt. I would have to think something is rubbing it and GF can send you a new belt and you can replace it but I’m sure you would prefer not to be in the same place in another month. This really doesn’t seem to be a common issue.

2 Likes

I would love to know why too. We looked all around the area and nothing seems to be out of place or rubbing it. We had a small flame up a few days back, from transfer paper that came loose and started to burn but we were present and observant when it happened and shut it down and it out within seconds. So maybe that could be it, but I think we were super quick 5 seconds or less in reaction. Yes I would hate to be here again in a month. Maybe glowforge has seen this before and can let us know what may have contributed to this? I just hope for quick resolution.

Fire is about the only thing I could imagine could do that. Those belts are tough! I’ve had mine for more than three years and zero sign of wear or abrasion.

5 Likes

Yeah, I thought so too, but only one small flame up that one time. I would be so surprised if that was it, but I guess anything is possible…

1 Like

A small fire is still a fire. They are not designed to withstand that.

2 Likes

Fair point

That is definitely fire damage. Your “small flare-up” was a lot larger than you thought. This is a prime cautionary tale for all users on why you never leave the unit unattended while it is operating. You saw something that you didn’t even think was a problem and it did this much damage. Just think what could have happened if you weren’t watching it.

2 Likes

When you apply that masking it needs to be pressed down thoroughly on a clean surface to adhere. I use a roller to apply it.

1 Like

Hi Ben,

I was present for the flare up. I always stay with my machine when cutting. So I am exactly aware of how "small " the flare up was. Literally, we (my husband and I were both watching at the same time)… we still both get giddy and like to watch new cuts. We were cutting 1/8 birch plywood that we self applied Greenstar transfer tape too. We noticed the paper was peeling as the laser made cuts and loose pieces were starting to fly around in the Glowforge. Since then we take extra caution with transfer tape to make sure it sticks. Literally as we contemplated stopping the cut and opening the glowforge one of the pieces of transfer ignited. I pulled the power cord as my husband opened the lid and in one swift blow, blew the tiny flame out in one puff. So while yes everyone should use caution and never ever (NOT EVER) leave their glowforge while running, this isn’t an instance or cautionary tale in which a fire happened and we were not present or a case in which a fire was larger than we thought.

1 Like

Yes we just bought a circuit roller to help us apply transfer tape. We are still trying to test different brands, as some stick better than others. we also have learned that with pre-stained/painted wood transfer tape does not adhere very well too. Do have a particular brand that you like?

My perception is that they are all pretty much the same, with a pressure activated adhesive. If you are working with an intricate design a low tack adhesion is better to not stress detailed designs when weeding. Generally the medium tack is my go-to.

1 Like

The fire had to be bigger than you thought because you didn’t suspect damage and didn’t check immediately afterward. Or, if the masking fire wasn’t actually the cause of the fire damage, you have had a fire that you didn’t notice.

My point stands; even with your immediate presence and response your machine was still damaged by fire. If you had not been standing right there, how serious could it have become?

2 Likes

Worst thing you can do, as now the head is stalled over the fire.

For future reference, just open the lid. The machine will immediately cancel the print and retract the head back to the home position.

3 Likes

Masking needs a smooth surface. Raw material, or raw material with paint or finish, is not smooth. You have to sand and clean to get a smooth surface suitable for masking. Typically sand, clean, coat, and repeat several times. I’ll put 8-10 coats on, depending on what I’m applying, lightly sanding between, and wiping with a tack cloth or alcohol soaked rag. When done, surface is hard and smooth - like the finish on proofgrade materials.

1 Like

The heat from a flame can damage the belt in seconds, so that’s probably what caused the issue.

2 Likes

try texasbelting.com the belt is a LL2MR06 2.18 per ft

1 Like