Glowforge UI Screenshot!

(>[]<)/ pretty! excited!

1 Like

I’ve followed quite a few of the engrave and 3D and grey/grayscale and shaded threads. It’s a bit challenging to keep straight for me without a Glowforge. And then seeing this on the UI about shades and how this all gets translated to speed and power settings on what material. @Hirudin’s post is very helpful above. But at this time I am just focusing (ha) on vectors and cutting.

3 Likes

So exciting to see this! And I’ll be completely honest…looks like it will be user friendly for this newbie …which makes me even more excited!

2 Likes

Try touching it using your tablet. There is a time delay. It will be the first thing that prints when you get your GlowForge. :wink:

1 Like

Good take. I also don’t see anything that implies a workflow.

I scanned through the replies to the original post. One thing that comes to mind is a question, is this UI for the desktop and the tablet, or just the Desktop. Sorry if I missed something.
It seems like the arrangement will work well for the (somewhat standard) desktop, probably should be more horizontal for the tablet?

I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe it is a Web-based app, so it will work through whatever browser you are using on your tablet or desktop. I don’t know if they are planning on making a desktop/tablet mode for it.

2 Likes

Many of the demos we have seen had a tablet (probably an IPad) as the interface. So I’m sure it will be developed with that in mind. Looks fine for my Android tablet but things like font size, keyboard overlays, and button positions are always issues to be resolved.

1 Like

I do remember seeing a tablet computer being used to demonstrate the Glowforge.
I’m not to sure how similar the tablet version and the desktop version should be.
The Tablet version would benefit from having buttons on the sides and possibly along the bottom, so the hand is not in the way of the work.
With the desktop version, the pointer is so small that it is a non-issue.
That’s probably what I should have posted.

2 Likes

Yes, from what I recall, they aren’t going to launch with any native apps; it’ll all be done over the web (or if there’s an “app”, it’s probably going to mostly be a wrapper for WebView/UIWebView).

The webapp is designed to work on both PC and tablet. We haven’t built a phone version yet, but…

1 Like

I know I am in the <5% minority but I am a windows phone user just throwing it out there. but more then likely I expect to not get a phone app just like everything else :frowning: Then again if you made the PC version a WUA then I would get it on my phone and tablet and desktop and it would be the same app

1 Like

Unless there’s any major compatibility reason why not, I think that if you’re running a Windows Mobile phone/tablet with Internet Explorer or Edge, you’re all set. There’s no need for a WUA app.

I feel quite qualified to comment on this teaser since our agency has designed UI for 3D printers and we use a CNC for fun.

This is very encouraging. It’s clear that the team has taken the time to work from user needs and expectations rather than product features. Now I’m even more eager to get our Glowforge.

6 Likes

"Let’s light this candle " ?

1 Like

Maybe it will magically ship it. Lol

1 Like

My response was not well explained, I was trying to keep it simple.
Apparently leaving out the essential.
Here goes again:
I have noticed that different web sites and web services(?) display differently on different devices and different OS’s. That’s what I was wondering about, if the GF UI will appear differently on each device so as to optimize the experience for that type of device?
You have been very clear from the beginning that there will not be native apps available at launch and you have explained why too.
Thank you for getting back to our questions as time allows, it’s much appreciated.

We aim for it to look the same, but there may be small differences based on compatibility.

3 Likes

Surely instead of PRINT it should say FORGE?

8 Likes

this ^

4 Likes