Glowforge updates: the road to production

I second Jules on this. In fact, you can go it one better by finding a local Makerspace or university maker lab where you can get some time on a laser cutter so you can test and tweak your designs. You may also be able to start making money off of them on Etsy or elsewhere while you’re waiting for your Glowforge. There’s nothing like actually seeing how your design turns out on a cutter to help you learn how to design for a laser.

5 Likes

Good call! It’s 4am on Saturday here now, but my 7yo is going to be so excited to read this update when he wakes up :grin:

2 Likes

Thankyou so much for the update. I’m excited for hardware like I haven’t been since team project product builds (for ElecEng) at university - and I agree with the people that said they’d like to see a book on the process. An update like this should be required reading for all the engineering team project and project management students :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks for the update! If you need a mechanical engineer’s help, let me know. It looks like you’re looking more at coding engineers…

1 Like

Appreciate the update @dan. One thing that has been playing on my mind but I keep forgetting to ask the question - will each Glowforge be fitted with the plug pertaining to the country they are being shipped to, i.e. I am UK so will it have a UK plug fitted? Thanks in advance and keep up the good work!

1 Like

Good question. This topic mentions it but back in the fall it was you might have to get a local cord.

3 Likes

Great update Dan…lots of good stuff going on!!!

1 Like

We’re not actively searching for an ME but if you can send us our resume at jobs@glowforge.com and we’d love to take a look!

You’ll need a C14 power cord - the kind that comes with every computer.

3 Likes

@dan I noticed the update on the packaging. While this is a wishlist item, it would be great if I could easily repack the Glowforge into the original shipping box so I can take it with me when doing demo’s or onsites.

If this isn’t possible, perhaps some sort of a glowforge transportation system? Rolling bag or something?

4 Likes

I plan to keep the original packaging just for transporting the 'forge.
I’ll take pics as it is unboxed. The company spent considerable time and money engineering the shipping protection, and would be your best bet unless you want to step up to a Pelican box or equivalent.
If transporting the unit is a regular occurrence I would probably upgrade to a permanent solution like a Pelican.

7 Likes

I appreciate the update, it really builds confidence, that we will be receiving the Glowforge we hoped for, even if its taking longer than expected.

2 Likes

The Pelican 1780 would fit the bill. Not as pricey as I thought it would be!

5 Likes

I have always been happy with pelican we have used them for some serious items

2 Likes

I kept my iMac’s box for as long as I could for that reason. It came with a handle built into the top of it.

2 Likes

That’s our goal. As mentioned you might want to use something designed for repeated use like a Pelican if you’re doing this often, but for occasional use, the included packaging is designed to be reusable.

15 Likes

@dan Thanks! I also really appreciate the update.

Thanks for the update! Good detailed info

1 Like

Five months Max to go

4 Likes

Here’s to hoping these next few months fly by! :beers:

5 Likes

Guessing the team putting everything together and fixing bugs don’t feel the same way.

10 Likes