Glowforge updates: the road to production

Heh. Actually, I’m American, in the US. I just think the US date format is stupid. It should have some sense of order. Largest to smallest? Makes sense. Smallest to largest? We used to do that! As in “On this, the 10th day of November, in the year of our lord two thousand and sixteen…” Why’d we change that! It made sense! But, no… We switched to this silly middle, smallest, largest format.

Anyway, I’m trying to be a re-trend-setter and apply a little logic to the things we Americans do. :slight_smile:

15 Likes

LOL, fair enough.

2 Likes

I prefer 10Nov2016 , no confusion there. The Army got me using this format

12 Likes

Join the military. They do it correctly. I usually write 10 November 2016, but lots of the spaces on paperwork are either too small or formatted as “mm/dd/yy”. Generally, I can’t put it in those the way that I’d like.

@jdodds I seem to remember that they’ll all get shipped at the same time, but some pro functionality may still be in development initially.

5 Likes

Me, too. And up until recently I used that. I was trying out the numerical version this year. I find it confuses too many people though. So I think I’ll switch back on 01-Jan-2017.

2 Likes

I remember that too. Still though, I have not seen any sign of one beyond the photo of a prototype passthrough slot lying on a desk. Remember, glass half empty! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

Yeah, noticed that. :wink: I’m an engineer, so figure someone just used the wrong part number when ordering the glass. Too big.

11 Likes

I usually have to do documents for USA and Latin America customers where some times both have to read it so I found the same 10Nov2016 works for everybody :wink:

And @soldiercoleman Happy cake day! :grinning:

9 Likes

If glasses weren’t built too large in the first place you’d be a glass full guy :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Now that sounds like a couple of engineers. Chuckle!

5 Likes

I etched a coffee cup that says, “this cup isn’t half full, your expectations are too high”.

19 Likes

Awesome! ROFL! :smile:

2 Likes

Whenever I travel internationally I invariably mess the date up on my customs forms…lol

4 Likes

Aka, realist. I’ve just resigned myself to the idea that there is a lot of wiggle room in official GF statements and announcements and consequently wide latitude for the reader to interpret or believe whatever they like.

4 Likes

I think I’m a Engineer kind of guy hahaha

http://www.sheldonsfans.com/img_articles/thumbs/720_216.jpg

Meaning there is hope and is probable that they will send Pros and Basic the same time, but even if this happens the pro features will not be able until later.

21 Likes

I’m (was pre retirement anyway) an accountant. When a project engineer would drop by my office, show me scads of pictures and talked all about the great windows installed in a new commercial building we were putting up, but said nothing about the roof nor had any pictures of it, I knew the roof wasn’t done yet. So you see, that’s how I became known as the glass half empty guy. :wink:

8 Likes

Chuckle! Technically you very much are! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

:joy::joy:

3 Likes

Better yet, use the ISO 8601 date format, YYYY-MM-DD. (e.g., 2016-12-31)

Two big advantages over DD/MM/YY:

1. Nobody will struggle trying to figure out whether you mean DD/MM/YY or MM/DD/YY. Because obviously it can’ the either.
  2. If you put dates in filenames, they’ll sort correctly if formatted this way. :slight_smile:
20 Likes

It’s funny, I do use that format for files/folders that have dates, solely for the sorting, as you said!

6 Likes