Glowforge updates: the road to production

At work we must use the modified-ISO 8601 format of the YYMMDD for everything. It’s a little tough around the 16th of each month what the date means if you look at just that day (like November 16th coming up will be 161116). The boss chose it for filename sorting as discussed but we should’ve done the extra two digits on the year to make it standard format :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Maybe the factory mixed up measurement systems…used inches instead of cm for the dimensions…

3 Likes

I always use the YYYY-MM-DD, it seems like the most logical format if you want to sort something in a chronological way, and do not want the numbers to be mixed up.

I struggle a lot if a date is written in another way, e.g. “101116”; is it the 10th of November 2016 or is it the 16th of November 2010, and the most important question; is it 2016, or maybe 1916? And, is it before or after the birth of Jesus Christ? :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Word to the word word…preach on @rpegg

2 Likes

I didn’t plan on modifying a space till I read the ginormous manual first.

6 Likes

The space where I plan to put mine is currently occupied by two old 3D printers, in a row of five. I plan to design a more space efficient model and replace a few to free up the space. Only started last week, so its a race to see if I can design a 3D printer faster than Glowforge can finish theirs!

7 Likes

This is probably going to be the extent of my workspace prep… :smile:

28 Likes

There are days that I want to do that to my desk. I just can’t get rid of all the pieces of paper in my life. At least today I sorted through the piles on the floor and the desk and decreased it a little. Had a wedding completed so all the paperwork for that gets shuffled to the office. No wedding until May so I have a little break, although there is a rush for prep to start after the holidays.

9 Likes

A day late for the glass half full conversation. But I have to lay down the definitive trump card for such discussions:

https://what-if.xkcd.com/6/

Please people… NEVER have a glass half full with a physicist in the room. I don’t need any more free glass.

On the date note… I have a renter from the European areas, last month the banks called me a few dozen times trying to refuse their out of date rent check, because me cashing a check early in October from the tenth of January was totally more believable than the idea that we write our dates like morons (I also do the 3 letter abbreviation approach)

16 Likes

I don’t think that follows the laws of physics. :shrug:

3 Likes

The guy who writes/draws What If? (and xkcd), Randall Munroe, has a degree in physics and used to work for NASA. He does know what he’s talking about and he does quite a bit of research for every what-if. Given how popular his work is among scientists, I’m sure he receives many corrections whenever he makes a mistake. :slight_smile:

11 Likes

To @chadmart1076’s credit: The start of the scenario is completely non-physical (half of the two glasses in a perfect vacuum).

It is due to those two impossibilities that the rest of the scenario unfolds as it does (well, primarily due to the perfect vacuum beneath water, but without the other perfect vacuum you never destabilize and launch that process).

Everything after the initial setup is flawless physics.

7 Likes

If the glass is half full of wine…then its empty.:stuck_out_tongue::wine_glass:

15 Likes

True. The initial conditionsk can never really occur.

1 Like

I don’t pretend to be all that fluent in physics, but it seems to me that the if the initial conditions could occur, wouldn’t the water just fall into the vacuum due to gravity?

I also didn’t know any of the backstory of the comic… so I am probably wrong.

I cannot do much better than the comments section for that What If: http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=88266&sid=8c6af1bea9d3c7387fc603d0b37a5b16

Basically, the water does just fall back down into the vacuum, not just from gravity, but also from the low pressure zone “suction”.

But atmospheric pressure causes the glass to slightly lift off of the table, and then when the high velocity water hits the bottom of the glass, Newton’s laws lead to much chaos.

5 Likes

Got me laughing, if I’m ever in your neck of the woods I’ll take you out for a glass of red, good Australian red.

2 Likes

Wow. Y’all are fancy. You pour wine into glasses before drinking?

12 Likes

Shhhhh, I don’t want everyone knowing! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Urp… (wipes mouth with sleeve) glass not required.

2 Likes