Glowforge updates: the road to production

I’m here today to announce the return of DOSShell 12!!

1 Like

I have a Mac with Windows vm and Linux vm :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

So do I. So many haters.

I had not owned or used a windows machine since window98. Late last year a friend built me a pc-based gaming rig so that we could play GTAV together, and he put win10 on it. I was very happy with the look and feel of it in general. I hated automatic updates (that just killed whatever I was doing with no notice) but eventually figured out how to turn them off. I disabled cortana, reset all my privacy options, opted out of targeted ads, and used a local account, so I didn’t have many concerns about it “spying” on me.
And it was pretty.

My only gripe was that it would not reliably run GTAV. The only reason I had the thing.
Other people report being able to play it on 10, but I could not and Rockstar does not certify it for 10… So my “upgrade” to win7pro was actually more forced than choice in that case.

I really like having the newest version of [thing]. I just hate when it kills compatibility or functionality of the older version.*

*regardless of OS, cause it happens with Macs too. :yum:

3 Likes

Very similar setup with me too 3 androids, ipod, 2 ipads,
…and I put win 10 in all my 6 PCs

1 Like

It’s not a problem it’s efficiency. I hate hauling around laptops, docking & undocking, etc. So I have a couple of laptops and a bunch of tablets of all flavors all over. That way wherever I am I can pick one up & work on stuff, save it to the cloud and leave it. Wherever I am next I’ve got another device I can use to pick up where I left off. So I have one in a docking bay on my desk at work, two more not docked that I can grab & go to a meeting, one on my desk at home a couple more in the garage, the shop, motorcycle, in the luggage for traveling.

It makes things so much easier than schlepping a laptop from the office, home and on trips and knowing if I lose it or it gets broken that I’m toast.

4 Likes

Exactly…

I upgraded all my machines to 10 no issues, and at present currently deploying win10 to the enterprise 400 of 12,000… Should pick up speed once we resolve some anti virus dependency’s that still are yet to be compatible with win 10…(good job a/v company /sarcasm)

1 Like

I’ve had few problems upgrading to Windows 10 except the printer drivers. I had stayed away from 8. Using OEM drivers is preferable, but not always easy. So I have a couple drivers installed and have to figure out which is best. At home I have a bunch of older PCs that are running Ubuntu Linux. And can remote access if necessary and have a central backup so files are always available. So no matter what room, I can do a terminal. Can even VNC or SSH from my iPad too. I’ve stuck with Windows because in my experience it could do more things that I wanted to do, not necessarily better or pretty, but easier to hack. And I always appreciated the hardware variety available to a IBMPC ecosystem than being stuck in Apple’s I like Linux the best because that is the easiest to screw around with and mess up and rebuild of all for me. There are a few applications that aren’t up to speed yet. I’ve tried to use Scribus as a replacement for PageMaker and InDesign but still isn’t quite there yet. So I am very happy that Glowforge is hardware and OS agnostic. I just have too many devices that I use regularly to try and keep updated with a proprietary application.

2 Likes

Me too - and then Apple went Intel which made the Apple hardware premium even harder to accept. Before Windows based netbooks came out I rooted the boot sector of a MacAir so I could make it a Windows laptop for travel. Now with netbooks and tablets like the Surface and other variants, there’s no need to do that anymore.

1 Like

Random fact: my first job out of college was being the program manager responsible for power management and ACPI on the kernel team in Windows 98. Then managed a team that did video & storage for Win2k, and joined the shell/UI team where I managed the control panel, taskbar, and some other pieces of the user experience for Windows XP.

I use *nix when convenient, but my go-to is still Windows. Old habits, you know.

14 Likes

Uh oh.

Jk :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Does anyone else think this picture of @Dan looks like a lion trainer sticking his head in the lion’s mouth?

5 Likes

yes. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I demand a GIF, or at least a photoshop retouch!

Where is @spike?

4 Likes

Where is Spike? Haven’t seen him here for quite a while.

5 Likes

Not a peep in quite a while. Perhaps he took a refund due to some unforeseen circumstance. But with his historical level of forum participation, it would seem out of character for him to vaporize without a farewell.

3 Likes

I private messaged Spike some time ago, when I realized he was not present on the forum anymore. As three of you all said, he sort of just up and disappeared suddenly, so I was concerned. This was at the end of April. I told him he was missed by many…which is true.

“I am well,
I got a refund for my GF when I saw the delays and decided to wait until they came out first.
Also, I am getting ready for a move out of state so one less thing to think about.”

13 Likes

I think I saw a post somewhere when i first joined that he was having to bail. (No reason given.)

Shame. Some of his posts were fantastic. :confused:

6 Likes

Thanks for the update.

6 Likes