Glowforge updates: the road to production

too busy to do it properly…

27 Likes

*regardless of OS, cause it happens with Macs too. :yum:

Love your honesty!

4 Likes

I ship pelican cases across country often. The punishment they take is almost equaled by the punishment they are given. We ship both UPS and Fedex. Large, heavy Pelican cases are treated very roughly. You will want to pay for insurance, and be present at time of delivery. I would reccomend pu hazing some shockwatches and put some on the outside, and some on the inside.

6 Likes

Good idea!

A Hardigg case may be a more economical option. They are almost as rugged as the Pelican and are cheaper. At least they were when I was buying both.

2 Likes

Thank you!

It’s really frustrating that shippers see you’re making a considerable effort to protect your items by putting them in an extra-rugged case, but see that case as a reason to treat it with less care, rather than more.

5 Likes

Maybe the guys in the shipping terminal see that nice hard case as a durable puck for their next fork lift hockey game?

4 Likes

Sadly the incentive system is set up to work against the customer (likely not on purpose though).

The delivery guys are penalized if they get too few packages moved in a day. They are not penalized if some packages get damaged (if an inordinately large number of packages are damaged, there may be a warning issued to a particular facility, but then they are just careful for a short period, and then back to whatever is needed to get things moving fast again)

4 Likes

Because much of it isn’t the drivers it’s the Ops guys unloading, loading, and moving through warehouses that do most of the damage. Or so the drivers tell me. :joy:

4 Likes

You’re not making an effort - you’re issuing a CHALLENGE! lol (j/k) But it does sometimes seem that’s how they see it…:grin:

2 Likes

Maybe by putting the case in a cardboard box it would “camouflage” it.

6 Likes

I hope there are no future delays. I trust you are all working hard. I purchased ON October 24th. Everything says before or after that day. I’m hoping as it was the last day of the crowdfunding that mine too will ship by Christmas. If not, I’m afraid I will have to back out as it will already be over a year since we spent $4300 +/- It is my hope that in this last year that Glowforge will still be cutting edge. Technology advances weekly. I almost hate to look to see what else is out. My faith is in glowforge that in the end the extra time they are taking means nothing else could have possibly come out that would be better. So we will continue to wait until December. Thanks for the update. The more the better. There are a lot of people counting on the Glowforge team. Keep us updated so we can all stop freaking out when it’s been months with no news.

3 Likes

Thanks for update! :slight_smile:

None of us like to wait, but it will be worth it. My advice is to get more active in the forum. Post more, like more, etc. It makes time fly by, you see more of the updates (others more knowledgeable can point you to the recent updates), and lots of other hidden benefits in getting to know the Glowforge staff, founders, and buyers better. Just remember that our posts here help the team to better refine the product and make it more awesome!

4 Likes

I have. And haven’t found anything that should be as comparable. A Kickstarter failed a couple months back on a pretty cool machine - but at twice the $$$ (if memory serves). You are right about tech though - I’m sure some companies are definitely waiting to get their hands on a GF to try and reverse engineer it. Those types of companies rarely try and innovate so I’ll doubt they’ll beat Glowforge to market - easier for them to copy and try and sell cheaper.

6 Likes

And you know they are standing by in the wings, salivating like a pack of dogs over the prospect. :angry:

4 Likes

Fortunate for Glowforge is that they can rarely replicate the back end software or the other community incentives of the original. What you end up with is junk drivers and a machine that works when it wants.

2 Likes

Have you ever read Microserfs?

3 Likes

Oh yes! Flat food and all. :slight_smile:

5 Likes