Glowforge Volunteer Corps

Glowforge MK2:

8 Likes

Hhhhm, that might be a good idea…I forgot to mention that with Tax season coming I have practically zero free time for the next few months, but I’ll state that and let GF decide if I am still useful in any way…

Glowforge v2: Pioneering CAM (Cat Aided Machining)

6 Likes

Don’t knock your self out of the game before it starts… if I am correct… they are looking for both those familiar with a 3d laser machine and programs that are used by GF… as well as those of us not so familiar. It makes sense to me.

Will only cut newspaper if you are trying to read it.

9 Likes

Would we be able to add our own templates? I’d like to design a couple things since I have a panel at a convention for props/armor making in January. Would be neat to showcase some of the things you can make with this :slight_smile:

@Pwc-phil: Had to chuckle about that one. I too have experienced Makerbot Madness. It didn’t get better after they grew up. They certainly didn’t apply any lessons learned to their Digitizer product launch & subsequent failure support. They seem to have lost their passion on the way to becoming a household name. Too bad really.

I originally was thinking of simple stuff like fascias for neon tube art (although I’d love to see if I could get it to safely etch the neon tube itself - just not sure if it would stress the tube so it fractured when the vacuum is applied) and some cut outs and prop work for stage plays both at my local high school & at Yale.

I was just thinking about how subtractive manufacturing techniques & materials might be combined with the additive filament stuff that we do for e-NABLE in making prosthetic hands for kids (mostly, some adults though). Even if it were simple personalizations of the prosthetics it would really be a boost for the kids. But if it could help address some of the design challenges we have in creating custom hands for kids it might help take that project to a new level.

Sometimes it’s hard to get the right combination of strength, simplicity and ease of “manufacturing” with just filament printing. Even though not all of the volunteer hand printers/makers could afford a Glowforge, those of us who can, could make some of the parts that are hard to print with filament and create custom parts out of different solid materials.

We’ve got a virtual R&D meeting tonight - I think I’ll see what some of the other designers think. Even if I don’t get to participate in the beta program, it will give us a head start on how this might be used when my Pro unit arrives next year.

The possibilities are awesome! :smile:

See, you let your favorite colony have their independence and 200 years later they’re screwing you out of a laser cutter. We’re officially crossing you off our christmas card list! :wink:

4 Likes

Sweet revenge.

4 Likes

Is any country client also can join the beta? I’m in hk

Dex

Actually it’s 239, but who’s counting.

Would love to help - my workplace is ~5 blocks north of the glowforge office in Seattle and I live in Bellevue - no shipping costs, I could stop in. :wink: I can get a group of 130 kids exposure to it with the Newport High Robotics Club (http://wiki.nrg948.co). big group of bright high schoolers making robots. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Enough of that. Some of us haven’t forgotten the 200 years of Tea Tax you still owe us.

2 Likes

I would love to test a glowforged unit. I have already ordered two (one of the pro versions and one of the standard versions) so I have considered several issues I’d love to test outright.

I have built a handful of laser cutter’s myself, from 1watt small Arduino based units to 90W 100x60cm units with graphic user interfaces.

I have space and a host of materials available (for the two laser cutters I have left in my workshop) - I do most of my work on 4mm birch plywood, hand cast acrylic in various colours and thicknesses and formkraft 2mm “rubber”.

I have a small business installing and partly building the machines for fablabs at schools and public institutions.

Best wishes,
Peter
eduard.dk

To make everyone aware. The original post (by Dan) contains all the information about participating in the beta program as well as a link to a survey which you need to fill out. The survey is the ONLY way you will be considered. Comments left on this thread do not increase your chances or add to your application. There is a really cool tool in the bottom right corner that allows you to click on it and enter the comment number you would like to go to. So please click that and go to comment number 1 to read what you need to do to be considered for the beta program. Again posting here does not help you get one and will not increase your chances. Only the survey can do that.

5 Likes

Everyone really needs to READ the first post. All of it. Then they need to fill in the application survey. The information you seek is in the first post on this thread, and you can get there using the handy navigation widget like this:

Good luck!

12 Likes

Same here. Not a laser user but about lost it when I saw this. Never considered not getting one. As a home user who is somewhat designer-y, middle of the road on technical skills and quite mechanical, I’m hoping that I match as a cross section of the “Typical End User”.

I always read the whole thread but I did not know about the widget so thanks

And something that @Joshua pointed out… You can get to the first post by just clicking the topic title at the top of the page.