Glowforge will not accept BMP

I keep getting this error every time I try to load a Bitmap. I can load any other file but not BMPs. I have restarted glowforge and computer twice.

I thought Glowforge only accepted SVG files? I usually pull stuff into Silhouette, save as SVG and then bring it back into Glowforge. Maybe that’ll work for you? Or into Inkscape and save as “Plain SVG.” That’s what I did with a picture I engraved.

Glowforge can accept multiple filetypes, but BMP isn’t one of them. From the FAQ:

Which design platforms does Glowforge work with?

Glowforge is compatible with JPG, PNG, SVG, PDF, and other file formats. You can create Glowforge-compatible files from a variety of different software platforms like Adobe Illustrator, Inkscape, CorelDraw, Adobe Photoshop, GIMP, Autodesk 360, & Sketchup…

3 Likes

You can embed the .bmp in an SVG file.

1 Like

AHHH I see now! Poor UI coupled with bad English Syntax had me trying to converting my files unnecessarily !

Thank you for reaching out. It looks like you’ve received some great advice from our community members. Thank you everyone!

Did you have a chance to try your file again? If so, how did it go?

I am not having much luck. I am trying to cut stencils, and it doesn’t seem to matter what type of file I upload, It doesn’t want to cut.

You can’t cut a bitmap. Cuts have to be done with vectors.

4 Likes

Hi @austin.fichtner

@kanati is correct, bitmap files cannot be cut, only engraved. I want to clarify though if you’re still having any trouble uploading?

Thanks!

Yes I am still having trouble uploading. It seems like half the files I try to use, the Glowforge doesn’t want to load. Jpg/jpeg pdf svg. Ai. Doesn’t seem to matter. I constantly am getting loading errors and asked to reset my computer or Glowforge.

Makes zero sense. I understand how files work. So I’m not sure why it can’t load them.

Is this a common issue with the Pros?

It sounds like there’s a problem with your design. If you upload it here (or send it to support if you don’t want it seen publicly) someone can help you figure out what’s keeping it from loading.

3 Likes

What program are you using to create your file?

it could be something simple as changing what file type you are saving to.

and there are some mad sk1lz here so if you upload your file like @geek2nurse suggested you will likely get busy really quick.

3 Likes

I agree that this sounds like it could be a file saving issue as each program has different check-boxes/settings for saving the files so they import correctly. Have you seen this yet?

2 Likes

I’m sorry to hear you’re still having trouble getting your files to load. I agree with the other, I think the next step here is to review one of the files you’re unable to load. Could you please post your file here for us to review? If you don’t want to post it publicly, I understand. You can email it to support@glowforge.com instead. If you email it to us, please reference ticket #301398.

Hi there. It’s been a couple days since we’ve seen any activity after Morgan’s last response. I wanted to check in with you to see if your were will have any issues getting your files to load. Feel free to attach any affected design file through this thread, or through email, and we’ll be happy to take a look to help get this resolved. Thanks!

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.