Glowforge won't cut a 20" line on my 20" plywood

My K40 would not but the Redsail would by a bit. But the Redsail was built to fit multiple tube sizes up to 80 or 100W if I recall and thus was physically oversized for the 60W tube I had in it. That’s the only case I’ve seen.

A table saw (or a track saw) is a better solution for what the OP was trying to do. Faster by a long shot too.

3 Likes

Is that 15 years experience or 1 year experience repeated 15 times?

4 Likes

I’m sorry you’re frustrated and disappointed, but unfortunately there’s not much to do about it now other than come up with a solution for getting the cut done. I 've been there done that and regretted a big purchase that really didn’t meet my needs before too, but I figured it was on me for not doing my homework, and it didn’t make a machine “stupid” or disgusting; I was just overexcited and dove in too quick. And you have to admit, GF really didn’t bury anything when the info is clearly on at least two different places on their site and is easy to find, and even a quick internet search yielded the correct cutting specs. I can certainly sympathize and understand being stressed and wanting to vent about it though, so hopefully Macgeek’s suggestion works out for you.

3 Likes

If you find a decent 4’ x 8’ sheet plywood you can get 20 - 12" x 19" sheets that can then cut the full 19" or if you have a pro you just cut what you need out of the 5- 19"x 48" which will be far more than 4 sheets per with a lot less waste material as you cannot cut the full 12" either, and rarely have occasion to try. :slightly_smiling_face:

The ‘fun’ part for me is figuring out how to jump those limitations, get one more thing on that paper, get that additional 1 16th of an inch out of the design.
how to save a light engrave.