Glowforged Bodice

I recognize this just might be my geeking out with sewing but I am so excited. FYI, I like math…a lot. The whole reason I got into sewing was the math behind it. A world of geometry.

I used inkscape to design a reconstructable bodice to my measurement. I have always wanted something more reconstructable and so I don’t have to go through so many materials when drafting. There really is no good option but now there is. When designing it I even added in the “2"x2” test print to make sure my conversion is correct when it comes into the glowforge app.

I then segmented it out with the main lines I use when drafting and the results have passed my pattern checking:

Now I can use this along with my french curve rulers and do some serious pattern drafting. Stay tuned :slight_smile:

51 Likes

A basic shaper?

3 Likes

You’ve probably seen this, but I got a kick watching Xyla Foxlin making a wood strip corset a while back using canoe-building techniques.

9 Likes

I am working on a leather one with the glowforge lol. Corset and princess cuts :heart:

5 Likes

It’s a shaper that you can return back to drafting state. Normally you have to draft your bodice on muslin and then drawn your lines and cut it up. But now I can skip some steps because my bodice can reassemble. Basically cross over of sewing with puzzles.

7 Likes

How wonderful!

This is called a sloper in costume building/pattern making circles if you wanted to google further about them. There’s assorted software out there to generate them from measurements but I’ve found human drawn (digital or otherwise) are still better. :relaxed:

8 Likes

It is!!! I just always figure I stick with more surface terms. Glad someone else know the language!!

5 Likes

When I worked in patternmaking, we had a basic pattern set that I’d copy over and over for manipulation.

I never really thought about having a solid set before, but back then I didn’t own a glowforge.

Also, it wasn’t widely used in our studio, since we used draping as a base for almost all the garments.

This makes me want to make a basic set to send to our studio. It would make copying much easier.

8 Likes

It really is making it so much easier. I really love it. I think sewing studios would really find use for a glowforge:)

3 Likes

Maybe, though I can’t think of what our studio would’ve used it for. We were just patterns and runway samples. We sent out basic samples to sample making studios. I’d probably just be mass producing French curves since we seemed to be breaking them constantly.

3 Likes

I have used it to print my pattern on fabrics so I just can cut. I also have found a lot of fun with putting designs on fabric with it.

4 Likes

VERY practical (using the glowforge to cut the pattern, not necessarily the bodice. Ouch!)

4 Likes

It’s amazing how you can create this 2D form and use it to make what is essentially a 3D sculpture!

7 Likes

Wow, that is really cutting edge!

8 Likes

This is really amazing!

2 Likes

I knew that. My sister got her degree in costume design and introduced the concept to my mother. It just came out of my fingers wrong. I have always struggled with nouns. I can know and remember everything about the noun but cannot pry the noun out of my mouth with a front loader.

Typing, nobody reads the empty gaps, and Google is a savior. The most terrible nouns for this to happen… girlfriend’s names.

8 Likes

As someone who sews, I think this is fabulous! Looking forward to your updates!

3 Likes

THIS! Pattern the fabric to complement the grainline and cut style…print, cut and sew. It will even take the seam allowance into account.

3 Likes

I see what you did there! :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

Very impressive. I would not know where to begin.

1 Like