Glowin' Large - Graf Zeppelin MEGA model

This definitely falls into the WAY COOL department. Congratulations on an outstanding project.

2 Likes

Now that is a great project to have hanging in my workshop… If you catch my drift.

1 Like

This is amazing! If you watch the video, we used Fusion 360 for the workflow of the globe, too. Specifically what’s now the slicer.

5 Likes

Outfrigginstanding! Well done!

3 Likes

I catch your drift. I wasn’t sure if anyone would want to have such an impractical model so didn’t post the plans, I’ll have to fix that.

1 Like

Thanks! Guess I’ll have to look into slicing tools/methods in fusion360 now.

1 Like

As a life-long fan of airships, I stand and loudly applaud you!

4 Likes

That is a wonderful design. I grew up in the approach to Moffett Field, so the history of airships has always fascinated me. I flew in a Skyship in '88 or so, and love LTA flight.

Add me to the list of folks who would build one if the plans were posted. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I rode in the Goodyear Blimp when it was still in Miami but the Zeppelins, while the Square cube law drove them to be more efficient the bigger they were, worked against them in all other ways, most being killed when the weather at each end made them uncontrollable. I long thought that dropping a large container that could fill quickly with water would at least hold them to the ground but slight changes in wind would probably dunk them before they could turn to the wind.

Even the good year blimp was limited in what weather it could go out in.

On the other hand the model is beautiful.

3 Likes

Ywe drove past the museum and did catch a glimpse of a blimp of some sort in the sky. Beautiful part of the country.

1 Like

That would be a neat experience. We live near the airport in Goodyear, Arizona, and the Goodyear blimp occasionally flies in to the airport, which has a history with the company, as its base of operations during sporting events. And thanks for the compliment.

Truly exceptional work!

1 Like

Super thumbs up. I am always beyond impressed (really, jealous is the right word) when people can see it, design it, and make it. And then document it???What? Anyway, you deserve kudos and thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

Files are up on thingiverse if you want to give it a go. (see top post EDIT for link)

1 Like

File are up on thingiverse now. (see top post edit for link). If you make one I’d love to see a picture.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing. Now I’m on a cardboard hunt.

1 Like

Got them! thanks! I’ll have to find time to do some calculations on material size and see if I have enough cardboard laying around. Hope to make it before summer!

2 Likes

Good luck! I find amazon boxes are a good source of 0.11 inch material.
If you’re finding the instructions aren’t clear, let me know and I’ll try to clarify the process.

1 Like

That is an amazing piece of work! Just want to give you my props. Glowforge was made for you!

1 Like

I’m not in the US, I’ve got Ikea cardboard galore! (there is one very close to me and there is always great cardboard to get there.) But I’m okay with a little math.

3 Likes