Glowparents: Glowbabies!

mine too. It was on a busy town road onto state highway which was a fast merge with often bumper to bumper.

When my oldest went for his test he had 100s (1000s?) of hours behind the wheel. We show up and out they go. Then Iā€™m listening to some of the other parents waiting for their kids to come back and most of them were talking about how their kid only got the state minimum 12 hours behind the wheel with the instructor in driver training class. I was floored. They thought the kid would get his license (most didnā€™t) and they were going let them loose on the roads with less time behind the wheel than they spent playing video games on a weekend. :fearful: Some parents just amaze me.

4 Likes

yeah, i passed my test with the minimum amount via state-mandated training, and thatā€™s it. parents couldnā€™t care less about showing us anything.

One of the scariest things Iā€™ve experienced was drivers education and being in a vehicle operated by someone who had never driven before aside from a few sporadic hours in a ā€œsimulatorā€ (which was really a mock drivers side that displayed/recorded zero input while the ā€œdriverā€ watched POV driving videos on a projection screen).

I was lucky enough to learn how to drive a manual transmission at a very young age (7 or 8). First, on Ranch roads (loved not having to get the gates), then on county roads and farm to market roads and then more significant highways, all without a permit or license. Their is no substitute for hours behind a wheel.

One of the best things I did was take an advanced driving course (as suggested by @jbv ) offered by BMW right after I had gotten my license at 16. I would urge any parent of a teenager to enroll them in such a course - it may cost a little money, but whatā€™s the potential cost otherwise? Inaction and overreaction both can have severe consequences and those courses help address that.

5 Likes

Happy 4th of July from the twins!

25 Likes

Oh squeeeeeee! :squeeee: :squeeee: :squeeee:

3 Likes

Awwwwww, adorable. You really know how to stage a photo!

4 Likes

Awwww! Cuteness!

3 Likes

Omg omg omgā€¦so cute!!! Looks like they are growing fast!

3 Likes

After 2 1/2 weeks, they are both about 1 1/2 pounds over their birth weights. So yeah, growing fast.

@dan, the boy keeps asking whereā€™s the Glowforge.

7 Likes

Weā€™ve got 17 days max until our son Jack is born (my wife is high risk so they will induce before they let her go over). Iā€™m excited to be able to add him to this thread! :blush:

7 Likes

Happy Baby July 4th! Here are some pictures from this weekend!

Baby and her ā€œCousinā€.

Baby swimming!

16 Likes

Squeeeee! :squeeee: :squeeee: :squeeee: :squeeee:

1 Like

Makes my heart happy to see all these babies!!

1 Like

Ever since delivery slipped to July, I always figured the GF might be in a race with my son to get here. Well itā€™s official - my son is faster than a laser! This Thursday night, we induce. So @dan, unless you want to get shown up by an infantā€¦ :wink:

3 nights of sleep left!

22 Likes

Enjoy them while you can! :grinning:

3 Likes

Congrats, and best wishes for a safe and easy delivery!

4 Likes

@smcgathyfay, thanks for checking in! Here is the latest mad cuteness in Isaacville.

We went to a mothersā€™ group a couple of weeks ago and half of the fourteen women there commented on those big blue peepers of his, and how crazy alert and responsive he is. You never know how your kids will turn out, but this one will definitely have a ton of character.

28 Likes

OMGā€¦heā€™s going to be a heartbreaker with those eyes! :grinning:

Look out mom!

4 Likes

Studying his world, an engineer of some sort.
Handsome lad. thanks for sharing!

5 Likes