Gobble gobble! Steph's turkeys have returned!

The cute turkeys that @steph made last year have come back! Yes, nearly an entire year has passed! She shared a PDF file, as she was unsure how to upload the SVG. The notches were not the right size for me, since she had originally designed it for baltic birch, so I sent a message asking her if she could try the SVG again so I could edit it in Affinity. It came through just fine, though the pieces were set to fills, so I took the fills out and re-did the notches. This one was before I got all the notches completely right, so has a bit of glue to hold it together. This is my test turkey!

Next time, I will probably flip the tail feathers over in their cut out holes and score both sidesā€¦something I didnā€™t think of until I put this one together. And, then of course, color both sides of each tail feather.

I started out coloring them with my oil-based markers, then realized I was wasting some expensive pens, as this is PG draft board and the paint just soaked right in. So, I got out my regular sharpies and went to work.

Now, Iā€™m all set to make my youngest grandson a little turkey with his name on it. If anyone would like to have the file for this, Iā€™ll be happy to share Stephā€™s great little design, again.

52 Likes

So cute! I would love the file for this as my mom has a small collection of turkeys in various materials (wood, glass, fabric) and this would be a great addition. Thanks!!

1 Like

Affinity Designer can open PDFs. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Looks great and nice paint job on it as well! :grinning:

1 Like

Adorable! I love the colors.

1 Like

Well, thatā€™s adorable.

1 Like

Nice. Kinda has a Sith Lord color scheme, which is interesting, but black is definitely wild turkey approprate.

3 Likes

Great! And of course I want the file. Who doesnā€™t want the file? Thatā€™s like asking ā€œwho wants gravy?ā€

6 Likes

Yesā€¦I know. I did do that, but couldnā€™t figure out how to edit the parts. Maybe I was just too impatient or didnā€™t know what the heck I was doingā€¦or both.

:smiley:

@chris1 is rightā€¦silly me! Here 'tisā€¦

Turkey re-do.svg.zip (3.6 KB)

BTWā€¦I redid the notches for .125", but have not yet retested the fit. They were a bit loose in the original fileā€¦plus, @steph had designed them for a different measurement for her Baltic birch ply. Might want to try this on some draft board first, just in case.

6 Likes

Some PDFs are easier to edit than others. And I suppose some might have things that AD canā€™t edit. But so far all of the ones Iā€™ve tried to import into AD have let me edit the things I needed to change. But sometimes things are grouped oddly or you have to do a lot of breaking/combining paths to get stuff done.

1 Like

Cute. I made them for placeholders for everyone at Thanksgiving dinner last year. Still have one knocking around the dining room :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks!

I think I ordered the family size crate of baltic birch last time, so Iā€™ve got material to burn on experiments.

Hmmā€¦ I have to get back to this after dinner, but I just quickly opened the file in Illustrator and itā€™s looking kind of microscopic.

3 Likes

Unfortunately,I canā€™t know what it looks like in anything elseā€¦I only use Affinity on a Mac. I created it on a 12x20 artboard, so it will always load into the GUFI in the correct size. At least for me. I hope you get it working for you.

I think you may have exported this with ā€œresponsiveā€ turned on, as the SVG doesnā€™t contain any dimension units. Iā€™m not sure we can depend on it loading at any particular size.

1 Like

I looked for that setting in Affinityā€¦responsiveā€¦last night when I saw it mentioned somewhere on the forum. I cannot find it. Iā€™ve uploaded other SVGs in the forum when folks were helping me troubleshoot a file and no one ever mentioned that setting. Do you know Affinity? If notā€¦calling all Affinity users, please?

Edit; I just looked at my SVG. When I opened it, it opened in pixel format rather than what Iā€™d saved it inā€¦which was inches. Iā€™m not sure how to fix this, but will try some things. Sorry for the hassles.

Iā€™ve switched to exporting PDF from AD rather than SVG. It seems to do a better job of setting the dimensions on PDF files.

1 Like

Thanks for the input. But, now itā€™s bugging the heck out of meā€¦how some setting got changed. Iā€™ve never had any troubles at all with SVGs until now. Can you tell me where to find the equivalent setting as ā€˜responsiveā€™ in AI?

Maybe this.

When exporting to SVG see the more button for the option settings on the SVG export panel. Under the setable options uncheck the viewbox setting

Source: SVG Export Width 100% - Pre-V2 Archive of Affinity on Desktop Questions (macOS and Windows) - Affinity | Forum

1 Like