Going into cool down mode

All of the sudden my machine is going into cool down mode when cutting. These are NOT small intricate designs. It’s a very simple cut. My machine is clean and I have never had it happen until today. Is there an update or something causing this? All lens’ are clean I’m at a loss. ALL of the fans are clean. Any suggestions or help is appreciated.

Not sure but here are the operating specs:
The Glowforge Basic is designed for use between 60 degrees Fahrenheit (16 Celsius) and 75°F (24°C). The Pro has an expanded operating range up to 81°F (27°C).

I have the pro and my room stays between 68 - 70 degrees year round. Until today, this has never happened. And I’ve had my machine for a year

Hopefully someone comes along soon to help out.

Thank you for trying to help. I’m just a little concerned and want to make sure I am not missing something.

You probably won’t hear back from staff until tomorrow but some other people might chime in with better ideas than I can.
Good luck.

Thank you again!

1 Like

Hello @dbemmons1,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I took a look at the logs from your Glowforge to investigate the issue, and even though it hasn’t happened to you before, it looks like your unit is going into cooling mode as expected.

Your Glowforge Pro features a closed-loop liquid cooling system that uses the air from the room to remove heat. It’s boosted by a solid-state thermoelectric cooler that allows for heavier use at higher ambient temperatures than the Basic. It is designed to be used when the temperature next to your Glowforge is between 60 degrees Fahrenheit (16 Celsius) and 81 degrees Fahrenheit (27 Celsius). To check, put a room thermometer next to the right hand side of the Glowforge; it draws in air from underneath, on the right.

You can try any of these things to improve warm-weather performance:

• Try printing with no material on the bed (so as not to generate smoke and fumes) and no exhaust hose attached. If this works, then the problem may be that your exhaust hose is constricting the flow of air out of the unit, preventing cooling.

• Examine the bottom-right side of your Glowforge, and ensure that there is no fabric or other flexible material underneath it, like a tablecloth. There are air intake vents, and if they become obstructed, it makes cooling less effective.

• Try pointing a fan at the right side of your Glowforge. If there is warm air around the intake, this could help it cool off.

• Power off your Glowforge when you are not using it. When your Glowforge sits idle, the fans are off, so heat can build up

• Just wait. Your print may take a little longer when it’s warm, but your Glowforge will protect itself and make sure it cools enough to prevent any loss of power or damage. It’s clever enough to pick up from exactly where it left off, even if it needs to pause to cool down during the print!

• Ensure that the sun isn’t shining on the lid. This could cause the inside of your Glowforge to heat up.

• If you are venting outdoors, ensure that extreme temperatures or humidity do not enter the Glowforge unit through the exhaust hose. Disconnect the hose from the outside air when the Glowforge is not in use.

• Turn your Glowforge off and open the lid for a few minutes before trying again. It’s possible for the air in your Glowforge to heat up, just like a car in the sun on a hot day, opening the lid will help that warm air to escape and your Glowforge to cool down.

If you are still running into trouble, please let us know the following so that we can investigate further:

1. A description of the things you tried and what happened

2. If possible, place a thermometer next to your Glowforge on the right hand side and measure the temperature there; if not, estimate the room temperature

3. The date and time (including time zone) when you had the problem

4. Take a picture of the exhaust hose behind your Glowforge that includes the part where it connects to your Glowforge, and the part where it exits the room

Please let us know how it goes. Thank you!

thank you!

I’m glad I could help. I’m going to go ahead and close this thread now.

Please don’t hesitate to reach out again if you have any other questions or concerns. We’re happy to help!

1 Like