Going to pickup my Glowforge Pro! Wish me luck!

Well, I obviously have to make a few recognizance trips to the places near me (just moved) to see what they have. Also seriously considering getting a band saw to open options but not right away. Plenty to do with what I already have.

My life changed with the table saw. Just saying… pile of 5’x5’ boards and WHAMO, I have a bigger pile of 12"x60" boards.
Change the fence once, and SHAZAAM! I have a 6" pile of perfect glowforge fodder to stick under the spare server that he can’t sell that has become my anti-warping plywood paperweight.
When I get 10 sheets, I’ll have nearly 2 feet of fodder. Hmmmm…
I need a truck full of plywood.

3 Likes

Oh good. I was about to say that I hope that you followed the “bring beer” advice. :rofl:

Oh, indeed. Now that I finally have space for it, the table saw is tied for first place in the list of tool acquisitions. The other is a drill press. The GlowForge Does Not Count; that sucker is paid for and making it’s own way here. :wink:

PrincessBride001

5 Likes

Can anyone recommend a table saw? I know I need one as well.

What sort of things do you intend to do with it? I’ve gone through several table saws and could probably recommend something to your needs.

If you just need to cut the occasional thing down and resaw something, almost any $100-$200 table saw will do (If you are near the MD area, I have a craftman that I’d be willing to sell cheaper since I upgraded to a contractor saw)

If you are looking to do more heavy duty stuff or working with it more than once-in-a-while I’d recommend specific brands and types of saws for you, but they will be more pricey.

2 Likes

The rigid R4512 did me well to start, and you can get it at Lowes or Home depot. For $600 you can’t go wrong. Just rewire it for 220v.

Also, add a diablo thin kerf blade. Also get a moving package from your local USPS for the 10% off coupon to lowes/HD to save even more.

So I was just going through my box of proofgrade material, and I could SWORN we were supposed to get a sheet of walnut proofgrade plywood…but all I have is like 5 pieces of maple. =(

A table saw is a wonderful thing. I used mine a whole lot putting in 1100 sq feet of Coretec Plus flooring.

I had to make 45 degree cuts, and my chopsaw didn’t have enough capacity. so I had to put a 45 degree angle on my sled.

You’re the second person (IIRC) that’s said they didn’t receive any walnut plywood. They must have changed that recently because they used to send both maple and walnut plywood with the PG shipment.

I didn’t either…

Did you get any cherry plywood?

No – Maple hardwood, maple plywood, walnut veneer, maple veneer, leather, draftboard, medium clear acrylic.

1 Like

I got the “variety pack” I guess. I didn’t get a lot of any one thing, but I think I received at least 1 of each item in the store (this was before they added draftboard, the colored acrylics, and 3 additional hardwoods). Everything was medium-sized, though. I think that was the only size available at that point.

The main use for the saw would be cutting down stock for the GF, making shelves and other rectangular shapes for simple projects, and cutting drywall. I would like a tool that I can grow into, though. I generally buy a better tool than I need in the moment, and it usually pays off.

I have a handheld circular saw, sawhorses, and a Bora guide already. I can do those jobs with the tools I have but arranging all those moving parts to get one straight cut is a hassle. It’s still possible to make a poor cut with a handheld saw, even with the guide.

I am hoping a table saw will make it easier to turn one big piece into several small pieces, but that may be an unreasonable expectation.

The Rigid saw linked earlier looks great but may be more heavy duty than I need,and I also want to avoid tools that require 220V. I’m hoping there is a decent option in the ~$300 range.

1 Like

Quick thought. you would absolutely NOT want to use a table saw to cut drywall. you can score and snap it with a utility knife.

Rockler has these…
http://www.rockler.com/all-in-one-low-profile-contractor-clamps-new-improved-clamps

I highly recommend them. I have the 3 shorter ones. I already had a rip fence(for when I don’t have my helpers). for the 96" length

look on craigslist. My dad in Florida has always been able to upgrade via used tools from some old guy shutting down his shop activity.

where I am in KY, it is tough to find used large power tools, so I had to buy all mine new. I know it was a burden. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The ridgid saw runs on 110v. It just has the ability to upgrade to 220v, which I recommend.

As for the pack of materials, I feel like I got royally ^$&#ed. I got 4 maple plywoods, 2 clear acrylics, 1 walnut veneer, 2 draftboards, and three leathers.

No colored acrylic, no hardwoods, nothing but maple ply…

That doesn’t sound right at all. I would definitely send an email to support because I think somebody screwed up.

So how long did it take from email to arrival?