Goldfinger Day 1

My Pro arrived today after a slow trip across the country. It left the factory last Thursday. UPS wouldn’t give a scheduled delivery date because of the pending hurricane. A couple days later, tracking info showed a Thursday delivery. A few days later, I got an email from UPS My Choice saying my package from Glowforge scheduled for Thursday would be delivered on Wednesday. Turns out that was just the accessory box. The unit itself was still scheduled for Thursday. At 11 PM on Wednesday, the status went to Delayed again because the truck didn’t make it to the regional distribution hub in time. It arrived there mid-morning on Thursday. I ended up arranging to have it held at the UPS facility in the next town and picked it up this morning.

The box was in pretty good shape. Two plastic handles missing. Only one small hole in the box. The unit looked good with only a couple minor blemishes. I was able to erase two of them by rubbing with my thumb. Booted up, registered, and printed the founder’s ruler just fine.

I went on to print a few more projects: a simple birthday surprise that I won’t share, two iterations of an engraved/cut out business card (only showing the 2nd version), and a door hanger I designed 6 months ago to let my wife know when not to lock the garage so I can got check on my printer later.

This iteration of the business card is 1/8" baltic birch ply from Amazon. The door hanger is PG medium draftboard. The engraved photo is a low resolution photo I downloaded off the web and did nothing to clean up or prep for engraving. Looks pretty darn good to me. My wife came home while this one was engraving and decided she doesn’t like draftboard because of the “aroma”.

Thanks Glowforge staff for making a quality easy-to-use laser and thanks Glowfolk for all the helpful information on the forums that has helped me over the past two years and for the Beyond the Manual posts that helped me get started on non-PG materials.

63 Likes

Wow, you really hit the ground running! They all look fantastic!

5 Likes

Thanks! I’m still getting my feet wet having never used a laser before.

9 Likes

I was a laser virgin too!

6 Likes

Yeah, I’m feeling kind of stupid now because my first projects were exact followings of the suggested designs. Talk about getting going fast!

Your business card looks great and so does the door hanger! :grinning::+1:

5 Likes

Woohoo! Doing stuff like that just outta the gate is awesome!

5 Likes

I’ve never been one for doing what I’m told or doing things “like everyone else”. As a designer, I want to start testing the limits as soon as I can. I did print the founder’s ruler but saved the next two exercises to do with my wife (a self-proclaimed non-designer).

12 Likes

“Do you expect me to talk?” “No, Mr. Bond, I expect you to die!”

8 Likes

Totally love that you are knocking it out of the park!

Especially love the door hanger … think we’ll want one for our basement door. Very cool.

4 Likes

Those look terrific! I’m very happy for you…that you finally received your long-awaited Glowforge.

4 Likes

@johnwills has his Glowforge?! Where is the “doing summersaults emoji?” I really can’t wait to see all the things you make!!

5 Likes

I hope you’re not expecting ME to do somersaults. I’m excited but I don’t get THAT excited. Did those 4 prints yesterday. Did a couple tests this morning of business logos engraved on leather with the thought of sewing them onto hats. Came out pretty good for my 2nd day with a laser and my first ever leather project. Now I have shifted gears to folding t-shirts (with my Flip-n-Fold) for an upcoming show while I think about my next design. That might be the shot glass jig.

10 Likes

Fabulous!!!:grinning::glowforge:

3 Likes

Ha! I meant I was doing summersaults…which, now that I think about it, is not a good idea for me to do. It’s the thought, yes? :upside_down_face::slightly_smiling_face::upside_down_face::slightly_smiling_face::upside_down_face::slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

Duck, Duck, Moose! John, I actually met you a few weeks ago at the North Country Moose Festival! Little did I know, that that time, that you were a fellow forger! And yes I bought that shirt and a sweatshirt! I live over in NH just “north of the notches.”

5 Likes

Wow! What a small world! I wish we had known. I actually live in southwestern NH. I’ll be in Sugar Hill for their Autumn Festival on October 1. I hope you can stop buy and say Hi.

4 Likes

Yes, I’ve seen your emotionally captivating postcards. I’m sure you are just beaming with joy!:star_struck:

2 Likes

I’m plan on going to Sugar Hill and look forward to seeing you there! Cool!

1 Like

Great! I’ll only be there on the Sunday. I have another festival in Keene on the Saturday.

1 Like

I like the door hanger a lot