Google Sheet for settings?

Has someone started a shared google sheet with the settings for the different non proofgrade materials that we are cutting ?

Is that something that would be frown upon ? Seems that we are sharing the settings anyway but in a way that is hard to find. I imagine such sheet also having the link

9 Likes

That’s a really great idea.

2 Likes

Not a bad idea for a starting point, but the potential inconsistency in some non-proofgrade still means experimenting with each material to dial it in.
It should be great for a lot of different materials like stone or glass.

UPDATE: I had the wrong sharing settings. It should be fixed now.

I thought this had already been done but I guess people just shared templates for making your own log sheet. I like this idea, but I’m also wary of having people going in and editing my stuff. I’m perfectly happy to share what I have, though. There’s not much in it, because I’m lazy and tend to forget to take notes in the heat of battle: https://docs.google.com/a/masto.com/spreadsheets/d/1t6wU6DD2vUPvY3Z73FTVB_z4_yx9didWZC52z3q0ERo/edit?usp=sharing

Maybe what we really need is a sheet that aggregates data from others, so everyone could keep their own settings under their control, while making it possible to easily browse and search across the whole collection.

11 Likes

If links can be embedded in the spreadsheet, it would be great to add a photo of the outcome of each material/setting listed.

2 Likes

This one seems like a great one to keep adding to !

From another post and user, definitely a nice wealth of information.

5 Likes

It dawns on me that this project may not be as useful as we hope. GF is notorious for making wholesale changes to speed/power settings, and one undocumented change could throw the whole thing off.

3 Likes

That’s a bit of hyperbole, isn’t it? How often has this happened on production units? They rolled out the whole precision power/full power but aside from that?

2 Likes

yes, perhaps.

LOL - glad we agree. :wink: I can certainly understand and appreciate the fear of this though.

Definitely add to this one - there are already a lot of settings there!

Sadly, it seems this document has disappeared. Does anyone have a recent copy?

Welcome to the forum.

This spreadsheet has probably not been updated for quite some time, but I’ll look for a working link. If you search in the Beyond the Manual section of the forum for settings for a particular material you will probably find helpful tips. Your best bet will always be to test new non Proofgrade materials.

Is there something in particular you are looking for right now?

Try this: Glowforge Settings 2022.xlsx - Google Sheets

1 Like

You are a Rockstar!

I just picked up some RevolutionPly from Lowes. It is a 5mm underlayment with a … unque surface look. I had seen it mentioned on a couple posts and picked up some damaged sheets at a discount.
I will give it a shot and post my cut speeds once I have dialed it in. I will start it at 250/Full unless you have a suggestion for a better starting point.

Your best bet is to test. 250 seems too fast .

Underlayment is the worst material I have worked with. Horribly inconsistent. It’s designed for leveling floors before tiling and such, and full of all kinds of filler, much of which is not laserable. What I had was 3mm it and it awful to use.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice. I ended up using my old Lauan test and it was nearly spot on. I created a post on Beyond the Manual in case you want to see how it turned out. I ended up with 145/FULL.

1 Like

I hear you @eflyguy. Underlayment is questionable under the best conditions. So far the inner layers are looking good, the board feels strong, and the thickness seems fairly consistent between the 3 panels I recently purchased. In fact, the Birch “project panels” they sell were more expensive and less consistent thickness and quality.

1 Like