GOT Coasters

Greetings! I’ve had my Glowforge for a while and have been reading posts and admiring the imagination and the craft people have been putting into projects all of that time. Many people have made it an extension of their creativity that has helped set that side of the brain free (or maybe brought both sides together). Anyway thanks for providing inspiration to spark a start of creativity in me (and thank you Glowforge development team…keep going!).
I am a GOT addict. We have a party every Sunday night. My brother, his son, my son (when he is in town), his girl friend and friends all attend. We have food and Cersei would not be able to drink all of our wine. Every week, I make something different, mostly on the Glowforge, to help set the atmosphere. This past week, it was coasters, one each for all the main houses.
I did all my compositing/design work in Illustrator. I started with proofgrade medium thickness leather, first scoring the text and vector drawing of the house and then engraving the drawing with the HD graphic setting and cutting the circle. I cut an identically sized circle out of 1/8" proof grade acrylic, glued the leather to the acrylic with spray contact adhesive and then applied a spray rubberized coating on the back side of the coaster for cushion and a little traction. It was fun.
“Spoiler removed”:crazy_face:

23 Likes

I’m tied for first place in the pool we have at work. 4 points so far. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Awesome! Stay away from the spoilers. Then you can really say "wow, I did not see that coming! LOL

I’m gonna have to stop reading GOT posts. Hadn’t seen the last episode yet. :shushing_face:

One of the guys who sits near me reads all of the crazy fan theories. And he buys into them all, it seems! Crazy stuff!

Or you could… uhhh… GO WATCH IT! I promise this forum will survive the 1.3 hours and will still be here when you get back. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

HotPie takes the iron throne! “The secret is browning the butter ahead of time”

3 Likes

Yeah, this really should have had a spoiler alert at the top. I was thankfully able to watch on Sunday as I have a few (*****) friends who can’t help but announce things the moment the episode is over.

1 Like

Oooops! Sorry. I did not even think about that and am avoiding the internet in general until I can watch the last Avengers.

1 Like

:smile: I was saving it to savor with DH. (Although he’s less than interested these days, so i guess I’ll go catch up.)

1 Like

Well it has been TWO DAYS. :wink:

2 Likes

The leather/acrylic combo is really nice. Love the coasters.

1 Like

I’m sure these were a big hit!

1 Like

They were, thank you. I had those set around a lit dragon egg candle. The whole room was lit only by candles (and the TV of course!). Just like “Lost” the last episode of GOT will engender a feeling of emptiness for those who have followed it so long.

2 Likes

turns out the iron throne is really porcelain, and it is a potty.

3 Likes

Depending on the household, you need to fight over that throne as well…

2 Likes

Spray Rubber - now that’s a good idea - I shall have to see if I can find some.

plastic%20dip I got mine a Lowes. Here is the brand. I am sure there are others. It was just as easy as using other spray paints and comes in several different colors. I imagine care will have to be taken to clear out the nozzle after each use.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/plasti-dip-flat-black-flat-spray-paint-actual-net-contents-11-oz/3543514?cm_mmc=shp--c--prd--pnt--bing--pla--117--spraypaint--3543514--0&kpid&k_clickID=bi_264334789_5481217708_13814742666_pla-1100008778021_c&msclkid=ed0bdd1caf49147c6c1881d56d2257de

2 Likes

Yes, found the same thing on Amazon. I shall spring for a can on my next order.