Got my pro today... started making things i needed already

Made a saya (sheath) for one of my kitchen knives… its a unique shape, so it was hard to find sheaths that fit easily…

78 Likes

Nice! What wood is that?

2 Likes

Beautiful job! :grinning:

2 Likes

proofgrade 1/8in hard maple

its 3 layers of wood… 2 outer layers look like the top, and the inner layer has the knife shape cut out inside

16 Likes

Congrats and nice looking job!

2 Likes

Wow, very cool!

2 Likes

Cutting straight to the big stuff! This looks spectacular, especially the clean finish.

5 Likes

Very impressive first project!

Amazing! Very fine craftsmanship.

That looks so amazing! My husband is a chef and he had me make 8 sayas for his odd shaped knives the first week i got my glowforge but your finishing looks way better!

9 Likes

literally second thing i made after the ruler, and the main reason i got the glowforge in the first place… honestly, the glowforge is exactly what i was hoping for… easy to use for sure

6 Likes

if your husband has questions about saya making, feel free to bug me

1 Like

playing around with some new stuff today and wanted to test engraving… came out like this:

also, for what its worth, cermark works rather well on metal…

settings used were full power and 200 speed on a scrap piece of hitachi white #2 metal:

15 Likes

I bet he would love to pick your brain about saya making! Do you sell them? He just said he wanted to remake his…I might just send him your way :joy:

i bought the glowforge to add custom saya making abilities to my company, so yes, we will be selling them at some point (when i feel better about how we make them)… feel free to have him hit me up with questions… i’d be happy to share how we do things with him