Got THE email for my PRO order!

Why can’t we do multiple likes on the same post!!!:upside_down: :squee::squeee::squeee::squeee::squeee::squeee::squeee::squeee::squeee::squeee::squeee::squeee::squee:

2 Likes

Woohoo for the shipping notification, though shame it’s just for the proofgrade materials. Fingers crossed that the laser soon follows.

Without any specifics or transparency from Glowforge on this new layer of significant shipping delays, it appears there is no chance whatsoever that they will meet the current promised dates. Just looking at Pro unit pre-orders, it’s been weeks since they were to have started shipping the first Pro units, and the majority of even first day orders still has received no word.

The question, to me, isn’t whether they’ll catch up and make the current promised dates - the question is when they will admit to have a serious problem with either manufacturing, assembly, QA, or shipping.

The reports of shipping damage are pretty troubling. It’s easy to shrug them off as being the fault of FedEx, UPS, or any other carrier… but in truth a well-packed shipment ought to be able to handled by any freight carrier - even if somebody’s having a bad day. This isn’t the first, or the largest product of its kind to ever be shipped. I’m sure Glowforge is engaged in a battle with spiraling production costs, but engaging the services of a decent packaging consultant (or even two to get a second opinion) would save them a fortune against freight damage.

5 Likes

The fundamental problem with the packaging is it needs two people to handle it but UPS only use one.

Also the size is limited by the shipping constraints, so that limits how much foam there can be. I think they are between a rock and a hard place. Somehow in a few inches they need to have enough impact absorbing material to protect the rigidly mounted glass tube from shocks.

So cut the Glowforge in two and ship with further assembly by the owner. :sunglasses:

4 Likes

By glowforge’s definition they have begun shipping the Pros

1 Like

GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS (and GALS!) ----- TWO EXCITING UPDATES!

FIRST UPDATE!
My box of proofgrade materials came in! Sweet! Overall, the materials themselves look great. They’re clearly labelled as “beta” & the packaging itself has room for improvement (basically a brown cardboard box with a mix of materials wrapped in bubble wrap & a printed 8.5" x 11" letter from team Glowforge. I’ll upload a photo soon.

SECOND UPDATE!!!
ProForgeOne is on it’s way!!! Shipping notification just came in today via UPS Ground. Tracking shows an expected delivery date of Friday, August 11th!

Not sure how much time I’ll be able to play with it as our first son was born 7 weeks ago! So I won’t be able to fully document the process as I normally would, but I’m sure I’ll find some time to do a few prints! Stay tuned!!!

@dan – silly hello world idea for pro customers ---- create a Founder’s yard/meter stick to walk users through the passthrough slot :wink:

Special thanks to @morganstanfield for the name idea :slight_smile:
Signing off for now

51 Likes

Congrats!

Edit: Love the name, by the way.

2 Likes

Congratulations! (On the new addition and the shipping notice!) :smile:

4 Likes

Oh, congrats on your son as well! Sounds like it’s been a great couple of months in your world :slight_smile:

Bet we see that Aug update soon now…

5 Likes

Hooray! So happy for you!
Also, pretty cool about your Glowforge. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Congrats!!! @adrianf - My husband and I are just passed the 10 month mark with our first kid, remember “the days are long but the years are short!” I figured out, it is because you are completely sleep deprived all the time :slight_smile:

As for ProForgeOne!!! YES!!!

(also, love the yardstick idea)

10 Likes

So happy for you!!!

I am more than tickled that at least one Pro is headed to its home. I hope it arrives safe and sound and you do great things with it.

2 Likes

I thought pass-through was one of the things not yet ready for prime time. Without the head camera for alignment, you’re going to have a pretty wonky yardstick! (Yes, I know they showed off one example of a pass-through project that looked pretty good, but I have my own theory about that one.)

1 Like

Congratulations on both ProForgeOne and your new baby! I’m tickled that you liked the name enough to keep it, and that the once-mythic machine is going to a fellow brand-new parent.

8 Likes

Yay! Can’t wait to see pictures and stuff you make! Congrats!

I recieved my email for my Pro today! The wait just got a bit shorter.

32 Likes

I received my Pro email yesterday, too! Looks like the pace is picking up!

31 Likes

Congratulations! :grinning::sparkles::balloon::tada::confetti_ball::boom:

2 Likes

That is good news. My girls are so disheartened by this long delay.

me too, but then I’ve built complicated things before.

3 Likes