Got to try glass blowing

on a business trip to Santa Fe. And I made these two chili peppers. Now I want an additional hobby.

40 Likes

I love these! Do you have room for the blast furnace?

8 Likes

I barely have room for the GF. I need to find a studio with classes.

8 Likes

Oh, man, I LOVE watching glass blowers work!

10 Likes

Those turned out great! It’s quite an art. Unfortunately not a lot of glass blowers left around!

6 Likes

Nice job on those.
I received a gift of a glass tropical fish that took some skill.

I owned it for a good year before I realized the piece in the center is cobalt glass.

The techniques would be fascinating to watch.

13 Likes

I wanted to do glass blowing for years and years. I finally was able to take a taster class where we worked with an artisan to make pumpkins. He did most of the hard work, but we had to blow the glass for part of it. I found it so incredibly stressful that I have since given up on that as a hobby. I’m going to maybe go smaller and try lampworking, though.

The good news is that I have one less hobby on my plate!

11 Likes

Those are fun! Have you watched Blown Away?

8 Likes

Love the Creative people here. The love to create and find new mediums to work with is so much fun. If you find a local place, I would love to see your progress.

Any maker spaces in your area, This could be an interesting thing to suggest to them.

4 Likes

I think the torpedo factory (artist lofts/studios and art classes) may have glass classes. Need to check when I finally make it home (flying from Santa Fe to dc today.)

4 Likes

It’s really interesting to watch. We see them every year at the local ren faire. The other really interesting skill that is rare is candy sculpture. There was an old Japanese guy who would come to Matsuri every year and would make amazing candy sculptures. He always had a queue and they weren’t cheap!

3 Likes

I love this show, such talent! I have also subscribed to the Corning Museum of Glass on YouTube, they are broadcasting regular livestreams of guest and resident artists working on pieces and they are really amazing.

4 Likes

Oh man these are great! I would love to give glassblowing a try. Love your choice of colours on these.

2 Likes

That’s another interesting aspect of the art, the elements added to produce colors. The working temperature of glass affects different materials in surprising ways.

2 Likes

Yeah, different glass could make it harder or easier to blow. And opaque vs translucent affects it as well.

3 Likes

I really love these! I’m a glass artist but, only kiln and torch work. I’ve always wanted to give this a go. Not sure I need yet another way to burn myself, though.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.