Grandpa’s Truck

My grandpa had this 1990 Ford Ranger, and he sold it to my parents back when he and my grandma decided to downsize a bit. We continued to call it Grandpa’s truck though, and now my dad is also a grandpa. He asked for a custom front license plate with “grandpa’s truck”on it, and my dad never asks for anything (seriously, it’s impossible to buy him gifts).

Because my grandpa has always been a talented and devoted carpenter, my dad suggested I make it out of wood. I thought acrylic might do better out in the elements, and found some great wood-grain acrylics. Here’s the result:

50 Likes

This is the perfect gift

3 Likes

My parents are the same way, so hard to buy gifts for

1 Like

This could not have turned out better! Was he thrilled to bits with it?!

4 Likes

He was! I am also super happy to have finally given him a gift that he actually uses. In fact, the Glowforge has been great for dad gifts. He also enjoys the plant markers I made for his garden and the guitar picks I made with terrible dad jokes on them.

8 Likes

That’s wonderful :heartpulse:

3 Likes

The wood grain on the lettering is beautiful. Very thoughtful sign.

7 Likes

Great sign and great story behind it. Thanks for sharing with us.

5 Likes

That is beautiful and such precious memories!

4 Likes

That was a great idea to use wood grained acrylic. It looks so realistic yet it will hold up really well to the elements. You’ll have to keep an eye on the brittleness though.

5 Likes

I’m curious to see how long it holds up, but at least I can make another one if it breaks. It’s been a couple of months, and so far so good.

5 Likes

Now I need to get some wood grain acrylic. nice!!!

4 Likes

Anneal it next time and that will remove the brittleness issue.

2 Likes

I love how it gave it that wood burned look in the letters!!! :open_mouth:

1 Like

Simple, elegant and awesome! Thanks for showing us the wood-grain acrylic; now I need some.

3 Likes

Brilliant!

2 Likes

This is where I got mine: https://craftcloset.com/

1 Like

I know about annealing metal, but what’s the best way to go about annealing acrylic?

Stick it in a 170-180F oven for 1 hr for each mm of thickness. After the time is up, turn the oven off and let it cool. Once it’s room temp you can pull it out and it will be good to go.

2 Likes

Thanks! Bookmarked!